Want to improve your sleep, boost your immune system and athletic performance?
Adapt CrossFIt will be hosting a Wim Hof Workshop w/ Certified Wim Hof Instructor: Eden Lee on Sunday, February 11
If you don’t know who Wim Hof is – he’s that crazy dutch Iceman featured on Vice
Eden sent me some more info to pass on and let you know what he’s got planned
I have been doing the Wim Hof method now for about two years. It is something that I find incredibly valuable, so much so that I went and became a Wim Hof Method (WHM) instructor. Having recently successfully completed the Instructor course, I’m keen to share with you all some amazing experiences that can have applications across many areas of your life. I feel these techniques have greatly improved my quality of life and I’m sure that with regular practice you will also feel the benefits.
These techniques are very simple and very profound and I would encourage you, especially if you have an autoimmune condition, pain or simply want to improve physical performance. Many other participants have gained enormous relief from their various conditions and improved the quality of their lives. Becoming Happy, Healthy and Strong
One of my greatest personal victories has been to start Melissa (my wife) on the breathing techniques and her initial reaction and results have been surprisingly good even by her own admission. Of course this has thrilled me to no end.
This workshop will be a very different experience from Crossfit; even though there are similar elements eg the use of the breath, focusing on your body while performing various activities etc
During the workshop you will learn:
Breath techniques to change your biochemistry, how to approach graduated cold exposure and ways to focus the mind.
These techniques have been shown to:
- Reduce inflammation.
- Increase the pH of your blood (which is very health promoting ).
- Improve oxygen utilisation by the body.
- Improve breath retention times, generally.
- Modulate your innate immune response.
- Reduce inflammation and your pain response.
- Help you sleep better.
- Improve your mood, focus, mental clarity and creativity
- Improve athletic endurance and performance
- I will also give you a brief overview of the immune ‘system’ and how the WHM helps to modulate your immune response.
- Improve your overall immune response, with regular training.
There are numerous other benefits as well but that will be covered on the day!
The Workshop will be approximately 4.5 hours. 10am-2:30pm
The day will run as follows:
- 10-10:30am: Arrival, tea, coffee etc
- 10:30-11:15am: Description of the Wim Hof Method and theoretical explanation of the components.
- Don’t worry this wont get too involved, it’s just to help your understanding of how and why.
- 11:15- 12:15pm: Practical explanation of breathing and the breathing techniques and a short debrief.
- 12:15-1pm : Light lunch, please bring it with you.
- 1-1:45pm: Gentle Stretching exercises, recap of the breathing and preparation for the Ice Bath. Including change of clothes.
- 1:45-2:30: Optional Ice Bath , horse riding stance and Q and A.
WHAT TO BRING?
- Comfortable clothes
- Towel and yoga mat (if you have one)
- Swimwear that you are comfortable in
- Thongs (optional)
- a sense of curiosity