Back Squats & Snatches

Friday 21.8.15

Strength:

• “1-1-1-1-1” Back Squat

Working up to a heavy single, increasing the load each set.

Accessory Work:

• 3×8 Good Mornings
  • 3×10 Barbell Box Step Ups

**increase** on last week.

METCON:

For Time: “8min cap”

• 9 Burpee Box Jumps 24/20″
  • 9 Snatches 45/30kg
  • 12 Burpee Box Jumps 24/20″
  • 12 Snatches 45/30kg
  • 15 Burpee Box Jumps 24/20″
  • 15 Snatches 24/20″

*Scale weight & height appropriately. Yes!! they are squat snatches, you shouldn’t have to ask.

Post loads & times to comments below.

Karl Buchhorn

• tim says:

A) 120,130,140,150kg new 1RM (up 5kg)
    B) 50kg GM, struggled with 40kg step up, went back to barbell
    C) Didn’t finish the first round. Dropped 2 or 3 snatches for every 1 that I caught. Epic mental fail

A: Worked up to 85kg – felt good, but not going near the 1RM.
    B: 30kg – this was tough
    C: legs turned to lead in the first round of burpee box jumps. I would like to do this on fresh legs as it seemed good, I just couldn’t move my legs this morning!

• Lex says:

A. worked up to 70kg, which is a 7.5kg PR, hooray. Also fun watching Sare and Elle kill it.
    B. Did these at 25kg, didn’t have time for the last round of step ups.
    C. Got 9 snatches into the round of 12. In saying that I had the mobility of a brick today so they were power snatches (sorry coaches!)

It has been a very busy week for me, so I was just happy to make it into the gym and dialed my effort back a bit.
    A. 45, 55, 65, 70, 75 (7 kg under PB)
    B. 25kg for good mornings
    C. First snatch into the round of 12 with 18kg.

A. 120, 125, 130, fail at 136 then ran out of time. Not sure if I could get the 136 on a second attempt. Probably not.
    B.50kg GM, 40kg step up. 5kg down on last week. A little tired in the legs this week. Honest.
    C. 3/15 snatches. Looks like I’m not alone in feeling pretty sluggish in the legs today. I was actually fairly happy with my mobility and technique, but my legs and hips resented every time I asked them to stand up again.

• Elaine says:

A: 45, 55, 60,62.5, 65 (failed the first time then got it second time around 2.5kgs off my PB)
    B: 35kg for GMs and 20kgs for the step ups (right leg only heel on the left is still sore)
    C: Did this at 25kgs and scaled to burpees (my heel is not liking any impact at the moment) was going to power snatch these but a full snatch didn’t impact the heel so went with that. Got to 7/15 burpees.