weighted dips, speed deads and a chipper

Wednesday 21.1.15

A: 10 mins to est. 3RM weighted ring dip / — banded ring dips: 3xME ring dips with no bigger than an OJ band
FF – find your legit push-up (if you can’t do a full push-up -> go 1. wall / 2. box / 3. bumpers

B: 8 min EMOM:
2 speed deads @ 55-65% of 1RM (higher than last time — or start at 50-60% if 1st time) w/ band

C: for time:

• 40 sit-ups
  • 30 DB shoulder to OH
  • 20 box jumps
  • 15 burpees
  • 10 pull-ups/ring rows
  • 5 forward rolls

Post loads, times and training notes to comments or BTWB

Coach B

A. Worked without weight on technique
    B. 70kg
    C. Went RX for the rep counts but subbed the bear crawl for a handstand hold and did 10kg for DB shoulder to OH. Made it to 20 burpees.

Yesterday did a 1km swim.

A: worked with a yellow band and my arms felt like play dough! Tried a few incline push ups which were surprisingly ok
    B: sucked at this – did 55kg with orange band
    C: went FF, until handstand hold when Bec told me to do Bear crawls, so then went RX however struggled on the S2OH so went back to FF… Most probably should have just stuck to one…. but I was pressured and caved! Great fun session though.
    Arms still feel like play dough 🙁

• A: Small box push-ups.
    B: 25kg. I haven’t done a dead lift in a long, long time.
    C: FF – 8kg KB, 3kg DBs and Ring Rows. 19.40. Still fighting with my head about going too light, but I will work on correct techniques this time around. I actually really liked this workout!

A. Pushups with box from knees. It was good to focus on technique.
    B. 50kg with yellow band.
    C. Went FF, thought I finished at 19.45, then I realised I forgot the dumbell SH2OHs. Oops.

A. 25kg. Pretty satisfied with that. Not sure if I could do more, but with two dumbells, and having worked through 10, 15, 20 I stopped there.
    B. 90kg.
    C. Went RX and had cause to regret that decision a few times. Made it to 18 burpees. Pretty much every stage had enough reps to start of feeing OK about and hate the last 10-20. Not sure which was hardest. I did worry for a couple of minutes that I might be renewing my acquaintance with my pre-gym coffee on the sidewalk outside, but that eventually subsided.

• Sam B says:

A: 10kg. One rep at 15kg, couldn’t get the second rep out…

B: 80kg.

C: Took the Rx option, got out 22 SH2OH before timing out. Upper body strength (or lack of it) is definitely my downfall…

• Elaine says:

A: 5kgs
    B: 45kgs, will need to step this up next time
    C: 19:50 FF version, KBs @ 12kgs, DBs @ 8kgs, step ups and ring rows.

A. some ball work into my pec to try and help my shoulder
    B 55kgs with orange band, need to work on not jerking it off the ground with my arms
    C. FF – was stoked to actually finish this in 17.20. Had some scaling, step ups on the 20 inch box and a few jumps onto the 12 inch when it was free. Did shoulder to overhead on one side only, ring rows and half way through burpees Coach Becca scaled me to lunges.

A) 1 ring dip on orange band, then worked on Inverted push ups – worked up to a set of 3 on the 24″ box.
    B) Worked on 80kg Sets.
    C) FF – Ring Rows, Single Skips. Finished 16:35.

A: Surprised myself and got three ring dips at 15kg 🙂
    B: Worked at 60kg with a yellow band
    C: Chose the rx version and got to six C2B. Bear crawls were way tougher than i expected and the S2OH sucked! So sweaty again today!

• Ben M says:

A) had only done weighted ring dips once before, set of 3 @40kg, think there is a little bit more there.
    B) 90kg with red band, these were ok, need to be a little more snappy.
    C) Wow was this a grind. is it sad that i enjoyed the C2B and forward roles the most. Finished in 17:34 way to many reps for my liking!

I am very happy with how my session went today, feel really good coming out of the session!

A: I have never been able to keep rings steady so I have only ever attempted ring dips with a band once and it was a massive fail. Thanks to Sara for convincing me to give it a go I got 2 sets of 2 and a final set of 3 ring dips with the orange band! Very stoked!

B: 70kg with yellow band, these felt awesome!

C: decided to go FF and aim to finish, scaled DUs to 8 cal on airdyne, box jumps to step ups and pull ups to ring rows. Finished in 17:38. Happy with that!

Checked out with some vol work in open gym for HSPU and pull ups. Already feeling improvement after 1 vol session on each movement this week.

• David N says: