hang power snatch double and some deadlifts

Thursday 4.9.13

A: 15 mins to work up to a heavy hang power snatch double

In this video Prue demonstrates a hang power snatch double (2 reps)

Common snatch faults and how to fix

1. Pulling early/ bending the arms before the barbell meets the hips (and gets weightless) – How to fix: get comfortable with the hi hang snatch.
  2. Not catching the barbell with your arms fully locked out – catching with bent arms means that you’re still apprehensive about dropping under a barbell. There should be absolutely no [press-outs] – How to fix: spend more time on an unloaded barbell drilling the snatch warm up.
  3. Failing to catch lower as the weight gets heavier – we snatch all the time and failing these should be a case of “you failed because you caught it in a full snatch (because it’s NOT a power snatch…)” not because you couldn’t pull it high enough (and/or it was too far out in front of you…)

B: Unbroken (UB) cycling high hang snatch technique

When cycling this movement it’s extremely important to receive the barbell (back into the hips) keeping your chest upright. If your chest starts to drop (bend forward) it becomes harder to cycle UB reps as the barbell can start to get away from you (out the front) making additional reps even harder…

Practice sets of 10 UB hi hang snatches with a light weight, adding more weight as you progress – don’t progress the weight if it doesn’t feel “good” and look “spectacular”

C: deadlift/wall walk ladder (6 mins):

• 2 deadifts @ 80% + 1 wall walk
  • 4 deadlifts @ 80% + 1 wall walk
  • 6 deadlifts @ 80% + 1 wall walk
  • 8 + 1, etc. etc.

If you’re at a “true” 80% then these deadlifts are going to be very heavy and should not be rushed -> approach each rep as a 1RM (so set up properly and move accordingly) I’d be surprised if you make it past the round of 8 deadlifts (please don’t take that as a challenge) this workout should be performed with a ‘buffer’ – “steady and controlled…”

wall walks to should be absolutely perfect. Take your time and make sure you’re getting your “nose and toes” on the wall in a completely inverted position -> This is NOT a shoulder mobility drill so we don’t want to see people’s hands half a metre from the wall trying to reach their noses to the wall (that is bad)

Post loads, reps and training notes to comments.

Coach B

• Coach B says:

Trained w/ the 10am crew – excellent.

A: 50,60,70,80,85 – had a crack at 90 but failed in the bottom of a full squat.

B: 50,60,70 – stringing together 70 was a challenge.

C: @180kg – completed the round of 6 DLs (inc wall walk)

A. 25kg (felt good). Pressed out 27.5kg
    B. 20kg. Lighter sets felt good but again started pressing out at 22.5kg.
    C. finished the round of 6 at 80kg. Scaled wall walks to wall plank holds?? Just getting comfortable being upside down. Love deadlifts.

• Worked with Coops today…
    A. 40,50,60,70kg
    B. Bar,30,40,50,60kg
    C. 120kg, finished the 8 DLs and Wall walk of that round

A: Worked up to 50kg – just! Actually equal to my 1RM full snatch haha.
    B: Worked up to 27kg.
    C: Got to 2/6 deadlifts @ 112kg. So tough. And I would probably call no-rep on the last one because I tried to rush it in the last 5 seconds and it was pretty awful.

A: worked up to 40kg with success – failed 45kg, found it really difficult to hold into the bar today with all the bar work I’ve done this week, hands were throbbing! I also haven’t done much snatch work lately so had a few brain farts!
    B: Bar, 20kg, 25kg & 27.5kg. This was a lot easier than I expected as it wasn’t as taxing on the hands.
    C: 5/10 DL – worked at 95kg. I really wasn’t rushing this – I set my back for each rep making sure my form stayed solid and I’m happy that it did. I would certainly have been told otherwise under Coach Sean’s watchful eye 😉 It felt like someone had added more weight on the bar in the last minute or so. 😛

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Hit 80kg which I was very happy with, little less than my single power snatch but felt really good.

Worked @ 170kg for the deadlifts and was stuck working on my own so consequently lost count pretty quickly. Think I did 5 instead of 4 and 9 instead of 8 but really no idea. It got heavy quick I know that much.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Starting to realise that although my 1RMs aren’t necessarily going up by big numbers anymore maybe a KG here & there but i’m starting to get really consistent hitting numbers just below 1RMs which is cool!!

• RACH says:

A: 35kg
    B: 25kg x 10
    C: 80kg – finished Rd 10 – felt heavy but happy with form
    Liked the drills tonight

• Amelia says:

still not 100% so just focusing on strength this week, taking it easy
    A. 37.5kg – surprised I got this
    B. 15, 17.5, 20
    C. 6/10 @ 75kg

• Leanne says:

A. 30kg PB by 2.5kg!!
    Worked at 25kg for a few sets to correct my chest dropping because I wasn’t looking ahead.
    B. 20kg x 10 but still couldn’t keep my shoulders back
    C. DL at 60kg all legit and set up well for each one… Wall walks suck so much more than burpees!!!
    Finished 1DL into round of 10

• A: 65 okay. 70 failed into full snatch and didn’t pull enough on the second.
    B: 40kg
    C: 4/10 @ 135.

A. Got 65kg missed the 2nd at 67.5kg should have hit it but was smoked from an hour of open gym right before class and 1st proper day of training after a week of sick so i was a bit flat today

B. 40kg got this easy but was to tired to do another set at a heavier weight.

C. 4/8 deads at 140kg

• Gabriel says:

A: 55kg
    B: 20, 30, 40
    C: 2/8 deadlifts @ 110kg, deadlifts were pretty poor, need to work on them a bit more

• Jamiew says: