Upper body work

Tuesday 02.09.14

The Yoked OnesABOM ABOM

Team “The Yoked Ones” and “ABOM” after finishing the first round of online workouts over the weekend

Strength

• Max for complex
  • 1 Push Press + 1 Push Jerk + 1 Split Jerk

Conditioning

• 21-15-9
  • Hand Release Pushups
  • Reverse Pushups (ring rows to scale)

Post loads, times and training notes to comments

a. happy to get 52kgs breaking my 50kg 1rm for the presses
    b. scaled to ring rows finished in 6.24

A. 85kg. Equal to my push press 1RM, 5kg less than push jerk 1RM. Satisfied.
    B. Interesting to do a brand new move. 3:49. Would like to do more of these. First 4 or 5 felt easy but fatigue set in quickly.

• A. 85kg
    B. 6min something

• David N says:

A: 70kg. Felt good.
    B: 8:37 or around there.
    Actually managed to touch the bar a few times and so close on the others. Lots of no reps.
    Broke up the push ups, except for the last round.

Hung out with mr cooper today.
    A. 65kg? Still struggling with my mid back/core atm and these flare it up.
    B. 5:19 I think. Finished with 3 no-reps damn it!

A) 50, 60, 70 then 75kg.
    B) 4:49 – I just wanna be like Benny M!
    NOTE FOR FUTURE: Do not let go of the bar at the top of the movement like in a pull up. It results in a back-slapping belly-flop that is no good for any part of you.

• a: 40kgs (previous 1rm Push Press)… prob could have gone heavier but ran out of time πŸ™‚
    b: 5:02 with Ring Rows and push-ups on knees… probably scaled a little too much here. Know for next time πŸ™‚

• Matt B says:

A) 95kg. …pretty happy with this πŸ™‚

B) this was a tad difficult…i had DJ keep g my reps honest and managed 6:10

• Jamiew says:

A: Worked up to 100kg – felt OK but still not quite getting low enough in split jerk
    B: 3:09 – didn’t mind this – failure point in reverse push-ups sneaks up quicker than you expect.
    Phil & I kept each other honest (ie no-reps & heckling….I mean encouraging)

A: Kept it light this morning and focussed on technique, particularly for the split jerk – 45kg. Elbows feeling a bit sad in the catch.

B: I suck so bad at reverse pushups. Seriously need to work on my lat strength and activation, as my biceps dominated this morning. Finished in 7:57 (ish) with many of my reverse pushups completed without my chest touching the bar. Forearms blew-up pretty fast which I blame on Sunday’s attempt at Event 1 of the CrossFit Team Series.

• DJ says:

A: 82.5kg.
    B: 9:15 – was super tough trying to stay solid and perform a strict movement.

• PaulT says:

A – 65kg twice, I stuffed up the push jerk at 70kg
    B – 7:12 – the reverse pushups became very hard to string together

• KJ says:

Re: the photo above…I’ve never seen two people make Kristy and Louey look sooo tiny!!!
    A: 65kg.
    Worked with Tom and Paul. Tom did well – exceeding his expectations by 10kgs!
    B: hmmm. Those reverse get hard quickly! 4.55 mins.

A: 60kg
    B: 6:43 – forearms were fried, why do I have to have such long arms!

Just realised when I checked myWOD that 60kg is a new push press 1RM and my current push jerk 1RM – time to retest soon πŸ™‚

• Mark says:

Staying in a hotel at present, so was stoked to find a weights rack in the gym.
    A: 60kg for the complex. I got 65kg on the push press, but didn’t really commit to the push jerk after that. I was afraid to accidentally dump the weight on the nice laminated floor! PS Nice work KJ – between your lifts and me just getting over the DOMS from Huddo’s choice on the weekend, your family is handing my arse to me well and truly!
    B: Reverse push up? I need a demo. I can lie on my back and stick my arms in the air, but somehow I don’t think that’s right. Anyway, I figured pullups would be a good substitute for those, but no pullup bar in the hotel, so I used some silly machine to roughly replicate them. Finished in around 5:45.

A: Urgh, overhead work. 55kg which is equal to my push press 1RM.
    B: Scaled to ring rows. Timed out at 6/9 HRPU

• Annie says:

A. 52.5kg
    B. 7:34
    I enjoyed the reverse push-ups.

• RACH says:

A: 50kg
    B: 9.59 Rx Just in the nick of time!!

• Gabriel says:

A: Got 60, failed 65 twice, then went back to 60 and made it, failed 62.5, then got 62.5 and finally went back up to 65 and made it. Pretty happy as normally once I start failing I keep failing so it was good to go back and make the lift.
    B: 9/15 reverse push-ups, these were tough, good work by Benny M on smashing this one out

• 60kgs – scaled ring rows for 7:10