Shankle Complex & Some HSPU, T2B volume

Wednesday 27.08.14

Just be like Donny Shankle!

Strength:

“Shankle Complex”

• Deadlift
  • 3 x Clean pulls
  • 1 x Hang clean
  • 2 x Split jerks

Conditioning:

5 Rounds for time:

• 10 x Handstand pushups
  • 10 x Toes2Bar

Post loads, times to comments.

Everything felt like a struggle today.
    A. 40kgs, I’ve done 50 before, but today only 40kgs
    B. Scaled to two hand stand attempts each round then push ups and knee raises. Finished in 10.02

A. No idea what I’ve done before so worked up 50, 60, 66,70,75. Might manage more but tired by the time we got there.
    B. 8:12. Paced a fair bit. Think I got it right for HSPU but maybe should have gone faster on T2B.

• A. Worked up to 90kg quite comfortably. Would like to try more.
    B. Timed out finishing 1 HSPU short. Tried kipping HSPUs half way through and made some progress there. Still a spastic though!

Strength: Worked up to 60kg, focussing on slowing down my pull. Would have liked to try slightly heavier (60kg is my max from April), but last few weeks my elbows have been sore during heavy cleans 🙁

Conditioning: 5:56 rx. All HSPU unbroken. T2B slowed me down – abs are still sore from Annie last week!?!?

A. 35kg. First time adding weight to the jerk since I hurt my trap. Felt good – a little stiff on the warm up sets, but as soon as I started dropping under more I was fine. Need to cycle the high pulls faster.

B. 11.43 with knee raises and push ups from knees. First time hanging off the bar in ages. Don’t feel up to full push ups yet but will get there soon.

A. 70kg comfortably today (looks like I got 75kg last time)
    B. Was somewhere in the forth round of HSPU – out of practice here.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Worked up to 110kg
    Missed 2nd Jerk @ 115kg

3:55 unbroken HSPU & T2B

So, I was just telling Ewen this was the time to beat. His reply “Karl’s a pussy.”
      So, I’ll report his effort back later (if he’s game to tell me). And anyone in the 5pm class has my permission to slap him one.

• Mark says:

Strength: 40, 50, 60 ok. 70 was heavy. 80 failed the jerk. So somewhere in there.
    Cond: Finished under the 12 minutes, although some of the HSPU were possibly not fully locked out?

• Jamiew says:

A: worked up to 100kg
    B: only got to 3rd round – a lot of failed HSPU (coming off the wall). t2B OK

• Elaine says:

A: haven’t recorded this one before but managed 40kgs.
    B: T2B done in singles but felt easy, first set of HSPU unbroken and felt easy too. HSPU got harder very quickly so only made it to 9/10 in round 4 but managed to easily do T2B even though they were singles.

• David N says:

A: 65kg and it felt really hard.

B: 40 HSPUs .
    I twinged an injury in my left shoulder in the 3rd round of T2B so couldn’t continue with those. I then subbed the t2b for situps in the 4th round and finished off the HSPUs. T2B were going well at sets of 5. HSPUs were down to singles by the end of the 4th round. I think I would have had time to finish this within the time cap… next time.

• Annie says:

A. Worked up to 60kg there was a press on one of the jerks though. 60kg is my current 1rm C&J. Successful 55kg which is what I did this at last time. The Jerks were the harder part for me today, last time it was the clean.
    B. 7:58
    First round unbroken, I think 2nd & 3rd rounds sets of 5. 4th and 5th round it was sets of 4 & 3ish.

• RACH says:

A. 50kg. Felt good.
    B. 6.30 Rx.

A: Did power cleans instead of full. 55kg ok, missed the second jerk at 60. Back leg just didnt want to bend but that’s the injured knee so I’m actually pretty happy with how far I got.
    B: Scaled HSPU’s with a 15kg plate and a blue mat to cushion my head! T2B all in singles, tried a couple of times to string togetherm but just couldnt get it, about 2cm away every time! Timed out at 3 rounds and 7 T2B.

• Tom R says:

A) got up 60kgs. Pulls were feeling good, jerks not so much. Need to some jerk practice
    B) 3 rounds, 5hspu on a 10kg plate scaled. Might try with just the ab mat next time

• Marc D. says:

A) Worked up to 80kg. Would have liked to try 85kg. I like this complex.

B) Timed out with 1 HSPU to go. Disappointed with this as I had ~3 minutes to finish the last round.

A: worked up to 50kg. This is the same as my last attempt. Felt really good!

B: only managed 1 round plus 9 HSPU. Love both these movements but I am so slow at both. T2B in singles.

My back and lats were feeling a bit tender coming into the session.
    A: 60kg – pressed out the 1st jerk @ 65kg so dumped it. Did this at 55kg last time so happy with that.
    B: Was planning to take this part easy as my lats were pretty shot after some lunchtime work with strict and butterfly pullups (not to mention yesterdays marathon metcon!)
    Managed 10 unbroken HSPU in round 1 – this was a goal of mine for 2014, now to try and maintain volume for a few rounds.
    I did 15 T2B and subbed for situps after that as my hands were really sore and was finding it difficult to even hang off the bar!
    Got to 7 HSPU in the 4th round – I checked out really early with this.

• KJ says:

A; complex at 65kg. Would have liked to give 70 a crack. Next time.
    B: I think I got 5.36 mins. Which was good considering I couldn’t get my kip right on my T2B and had to double swing a lot.
    I dropped down from the bar at one point – landed on the rolled ab mat and slid right on my butt. Nice move. It may or may not have caused the migraine I ended up having last night 🙁
    11 hours sleep won’t go astray though!
    Annie – your efforts in were awesome last night!!!!