Heavy Back Squat & a partner workout

Tuesday 26.08.14

Strength

• Back Squat Heavy Single (go for a 1RM if its on the cards)

Conditioning

• In pairs, one person working at a time, partition reps as needed
  • For time
  • 150 Double unders
  • 100 KB Swings
  • 80 Pistols
  • 60 Pullups
  • 40 Ground to OH 50/35
  • 20 Burpees
  • 10 Wall walks

Post loads, times and training notes to comments

Good fun this morning.
    A. Worked with Tim and Morton this morning. PBS all round. Really happy with my 127kg. 7kg PB. Might be a little more there but felt it was a good place to stop.
    B. Tim and I got 19:40. After a slow start on DUs I think we were really satisfied.

• Tim Armstrong says:

Was a great fun session this morning! Loving the current programming, can feel it making a real difference.

Hit a PB at 150.5 this morning. Happy with that but think there’s more in the tank so already looking forward to next re-test.

As for Ivan’s comments, as usual he’s being polite. I held him up quite a lot on doubles. Took us 4:41 to get through them thanks to my ‘technique’. But we smashed the rest of it out pretty well, went like middle-aged machines on the pistols and ground to overhead.

Good fun morning!

A. 92kgs up from 88. Those 20RM’s are paying off!
    B. Worked with Char who did most of the double unders! Other than that we played pretty fair and ended up just short with 6 wall walks,. Awesome fun, really looking forward to trying the Saturday team sessions after this one!

• A. 150kg (adapt PR by 5kg) more there I think.
    B. Worked with Tim – finished the burpees. Spent too long skipping -surprise surprise!!

A: Was looking forward to testing my 1RM this morning after all the 20 rep volume work over the last few weeks.
    100kg – previous 1RM was 92kg so was aiming for 95, which I got ok, then got 98 and went for the century… Success! Really pleased to have cracked triple digits ☺️
    So many PB’s this morning – was great to watch.

B: Loved this metcon! A little bit of everything but where were the wall balls?! haha
    Partnered with Kathleen and finished in 18:14 – my pistols and pullups held us up a little… Awesome pistols and butterflys from Kathleen 👍

Cashed out with 8 mins handstand work and managed a pretty decent 4sec? hold – it felt really solid.

Great atmosphere in the box this morning 😊

• Fun time this morning 🙂
    A: Got 60kgs (previous 1RM was 55kgs) but I am not sure the depth was amazing, tried it again and failed, so solid goal to work towards.
    B: Tegan got stuck with me this morning, thankfully she is a lot better at DUs than me (although they are improving). We got to 4 burpees in the time cap but pushed through and finished it anywho.
    Great times! and such good coffee

A. Worked up to 100kg
    B. Partnered up with Coops – the pistols did us in and I couldn’t get any grip on the bar for the pullups. I think we got to 36/40 for the ground to OH. Pretty happy with those doing power snatches for all mine.

Good session Sean!

Strength: Failed 90kg, but hit 87kg. So a 2kg PB 🙂 can’t wait to see how my OG programming improves my squats!

Conditioning: Liv and I finished in 18:14 and split everything pretty much 50/50. This was good fun 🙂

Great seeing so many PBs this morning!

• Jamiew says:

Got a bit convicted by Ben for not putting my results up on the web page so here goes.
    A. worked with Bryan this morning. Was feeling a bit tight first up and not planted in my heels so didn’t think I’d go too heavy. Worked up slowly to 180kg and started to feel like I was moving OK. Hit 200, 210 & then new PB of 220kg.
    Felt slow but strong
    B. Bryan & I got through with not a lot to spare. Pistols scaled to partner assisted. Felt quite old & creaky doing this

• charnel says:

A: 95kgs very happy, but I want 100kgs so bad 🙂 New PB, old one was 80kg.
    B: Ahh DU’s how I dislike you so so much! Worked with Hannah, and DUs are definitely our weakness. I think we got to 70 pistols.

• Betty says:

A: 55kgs – tried 60kgs but gave up too easily!
    B: Awesome workout! Love the mixture of movements. Worked with Ann, scaled to partner pistols and we got to 20 G2OH. So much fun and great to watch Ann with the G2OH.

• Marc D. says:

A) 115 a 7kg PB. Tried 120 and 117 – no dice.
    B) Was a great WOD, I really enjoyed it. Partnered with Nath and got it done in 18:09

• Nathan says:

A: No PR tonight, managed 137kg (3.5 off PR), happy with that due to a sore lower back from last week. Definitely keen to re-test 1RM again soon.

B: Worked with Marc tonight, finished in 18:09. My pistols slowed us down 🙁 everything else went well though, enjoyed this WOD.

A. Pr’d at 142.5 then again at 145 which I was stoked to hit didn’t seem that big working with deano hitting 175 though!

B. Worked with deano and finished in 17:31 had my pistols assisted and he did a few more wall walks and g2oh then me but all split even besides that was a fun one.

• Coach B says:

It’s only Tuesday but it’s already been a great week.
    Trained with Annie after the 10am session (she ran it) and managed a PR of 170kg (up 7.5kg) – Unracked 175 but then put it straight back.
    Then did the metcon with Annie and got 15:09 – pistols really slowed us down (alternating sets of 2 each)

• Tom R says:

A) worked up to 95kg. New 1RM by 5kgs!
    B) worked with Jim. Scaled to 40kg G2O and partner pistols. Finished 38 G2O

A: Sad to be injured on heavy backsquat day! Knee has gone backwards 🙁 Did box squats only and worked up to 117kg.
    B: Worked with Ben M – I subbed DU for Airdyne and Pistols for squats on a box. Ben did more pullups and a couple more burpees than me and we finished at 15:something.

Had a great night tonight! Walked in not expecting much cause I am feeling pretty exhausted!

A: 80kg! 5kg PB so I am stoked with that!

B: worked with Sara, we worked really well together and I feel like I really pushed myself. I subbed DUs for squats so Sara picked up the slack there, also I am not great at kipping pull ups yet and Sara is a machine so she also picked up the majority of the these too. I did manage 2 in a row though so happy with that! We finished 3 of the burpees. Disappointed we didn’t get through but I think my pull ups really slowed us down.

• KJ says:

A: new PB 105! Yay. Up by 8kg.
    B: Tahni and I worked really well as a team together on this WOD. She was stronger in a few of the moves and I was in others – so a good balance. We enjoyed this a lot, finished in 12.46 minutes.
    Next goal for me…butterfly pull ups. Will aim to work on these in open gym over the next few weeks.

• Leanne says:

Last year I was progressing really well with my back squats and had got up 67kg and now I have consistently missed back squat training and only managed my current 1RM of 55kg… Need to work on control in the bottom of the squat as well.

Worked with Ellyse today and we ambitiously set up all the gear we needed and actually surprised ourselves by getting through 40 pullups.
    Ellyse did the bulk of the DU ( thank you ) and I smashed out a heap of KB ( was in the zone and could of kept going but figured 50 unbroken was enough) we both subbed to using a 12″ with weights for the pistols and banded pull-ups… Some glaring deficiencies today but a great fun wod

• Gabriel says:

A: Came in feeling a bit sore and tight so didn’t think I would go anywhere near my 1RM, so was very surprised to hit 115 (3kg PB),
    B: Worked with Kirri, and knocked it over in 18:00

• Sam B says:

Right knee injury, so:

A: 1RM strict press – 47.5kg. Followed by 3 sets of 3 reps strict press @ 40kg.

B: subbed push-ups for pistols (thought this would be easy, but you get gassed quickly on those suckers…), and one-arm dumbell presses @ 10kg, 2-for-1, instead of ground to OH. Worked with Phil. Can’t for the life of me remember our time, but we finished…