Craig’s Birthday WOD

Saturday 23.8.14

Anthony easily clearing the box in this round of 40 burpee box jumps in Coach Craig's Birthday WOD #adaptCF #boxjumps #burpees #craigtalksfunny #crossfit #thewodlife @thewodlife

Anthony easily clearing the box in this round of 40 burpee box jumps in Coach Craig’s Birthday WOD #adaptCF #boxjumps #burpees #craigtalksfunny #crossfit #thewodlife @thewodlife

Craig’s Birthday WOD (20 min cap)

• Check in: 400m Run
  • 40 Double Unders
  • 40 thrusters (50/30kg) – 5 lateral bar hops every time you put the bar down
  • 40 Double Unders
  • 40 Burpee Box Jumps (24’/20′)
  • 40 Double Unders
  • 40 OH KB Swings (32/24kg)  – 5 lateral KB hops every time you put the bar down
  • 40 Double Unders
  • Check out: 400m Run

Post loads and times (or completed reps) to comments.

Coach B

Coach and Owner of Adapt CrossFit

The thrusters were harder than I expected, I did these in rounds of 5 to 7. I ended up with 8 double unders in the second set.

I was a bit apprehensive coming into the box this morning. I had already done 4 benchmarks during the week between programming and open gym (surprisingly I was feeling good) – I was more worried about the bowl of porridge with a serving of 180 protein and half a litre of water an hour before coming in and could feel my stomach swelling with the water juggling around.. and I really wanted it all to stay there! It’s not usually what I have before a Sat morning WOD so not sure why I decided to do it today!
    Last year I posted the following in anticipation for this year…”Scaled to 25kg for Clusters & 20kg KB. Finished at 30 KBS. If I had another 5 mins I prob would have pushed to finish! Next year will be one more rep, Rx and hopefully finish it under time cap.”
    Not quite how it turned out!
    I went Rx and did one more rep but got to the door for the last 400m run on the buzzer and decided not to start/finish the run. Partly because I really didn’t need a time and I didn’t fancy the added pressure of holding up the second heat for about another 2 and a half minutes till I shuffled my ass around the block. 😝
    DU were off this morning, tripped up a lot, took me a while to focus.
    Thrusters were sets of 6, 7 and 8.
    Kept moving for BBJ – stepping up and down saves energy and is the same time as jumping.
    KBS in sets of 10, they got tough at the end.
    Reading Craigs other post today makes me realise that every day we all have room to grow and it’s not going to happen unless you make some commitments and goals. It doesn’t matter if you are one week, one month, one year or 5 years doing this.
    I had a goal to finish the WOD today but I didn’t and I’m really ok with that because I have learned to know what I can and should do and what my best can be for that day. As a friend said to me this morning “Don’t be hard on yourself if you don’t finish because you have had a big week”
    I can honestly say that I enjoyed it – might not have looked like I was at the time though! 😀 Cheers Rach for the encouragement.
    Even though I didn’t get my goal of finishing today, I certainly haven’t “failed” because every day of every year that I CrossFit, I am a better, happier person mentally and physically. I love CrossFit, the community at Adapt and as long as I can keep doing what I am doing I’m in my element.
    Thanks coaches and awesome peeps.
    Well done to everyone who had a go today and congrats to the ones who finished!
    Early Happy Birthday wishes Craig – a 40th is one to remember and no doubt it will be!
    Thanks to all who cheered too 😉

• Karl Buchhorn says:

That was a tough one! Red lined a little too early and consequently had to walk for about 20seconds on my finally run to control my wheezy sounding breathing

Finished it off in 15:49
    Some super solid efforts in the box today, inspired.

• KJ says:

Tried to find your birthday WOD from last year Craig? Couldn’t find it in my notes. I think I finished with 30 seconds to spare last time.
    Pleased with how I went today….40 burpee box jumps sucked. They took sooooo long. Was determined to stay relaxed and just keep moving. Finished 17.55 mins.
    Always a pleasure working with Tahni.
    I agree Karl – many good results today. Very proud to be a member of Adapt.
    Thanks Craig!?

• RACH says:

Very tough!! Thanks for talking me through it Liv.
    Completed 33 of the KB swings – did it Rx.
    Really happy with it (although it took a while afterwards to get to that happy place! It wasn’t on the floor where I was lying….)

Did better than I thought and finished 39 of the burpee box jumps. They were definitely the hardest element and just took so long! I feel the same as Rach, after I managed to get my breath back, I think I may have actually enjoyed it a little?? But it took a while for that feeling to appear after I finished!

• Mark says:

Had no illusions of finishing this one, just satisfied myself that it would all be over in 20 minutes. I finished the third set of double unders and didn’t quite make it to any KB swings. The thrusters were heavy at 50kg, and I swapped to 40kg after 22. After those, the BBJs were a real grind – I just tried to keep moving.

• Craig W says:

Thank you all for smashing my WOD, Adapt is an incredible place and Nicola and I are very lucky to have found it and you all! Was a great session in the box today – thanks to the coaches Ben and Pip for running a tight session which isn’t easy when we have so many people in and so many movements.
    Partnered with Karl today who was his usual awesome self – I had to sub the run for a 400m row and the DU’s for 30secs on the Assault Bike each time, finished in 18:24

Ouch! Subbed the run for 400m row and DUs for 30 seconds on the bike and did step ups onto a smaller box. DNF…finished the bike after burpees. Was not feeling well at all.

Was awesome working with Sara and seeing her finish it off after the buzzer (21:17), nice work chick!

Resting a busted arm so had some subs today with Front Squats for Thrusters & 1 armed swings (russian height).
    Managed to finish the WOD in 17:52 – and forever thankful that I was on Front Squats and not thrusters!!! Great work by all that challenged themselves today.
    Last year I think I never passed the BBJs… Happy to just keep moving today.

• Leanne says:

Last year I finished the clusters @20kg and 22 DU…
    This year I finished the DU and managed 35 thrusters… I wanted to finish the 40 but my arms smoked really quickly and actually forgot this was on and didn’t really fuel up and prepare for a bigger WOD … Love these big slog workouts though, more please

• Kylie J says:

Like Craig I subbed run for 400m row and DU’s for 30s bike/air dyne. Finished just at 19:50…..This was tough but I like these longer workouts, a little sickness of mine…..

• Tom R says:

First time doing this WOD.

Made it to 12 KB Swings. Scaled thrusters to 40kg. Burpee Box Jumps are slowly becoming a favourite of mine for some reason.