Press Complex, Back Squats and “Annie”

Tuesday 19.08.14

Tahni nailing a Clean and Jerk at Saturday’s lifting comp. Congrats to Tahni, KJ, Louisa and Prue on some awesome results

Strength

• 3xPush Press +1 xSplit Jerk – max for complex (must be taken from the floor)
  • 5×2 Back Squat @~90%

Conditioning

• “Annie”
  • 50-40-30-20-10
  • Double Unders
  • Situps

Post loads, times and training notes to comments

• Sam B says:

A: 55kg for the press and jerk complex. One attempt at 60. I’m nursing a dodgy knee at the moment, so I’m not squatting. Instead Sean got me working on my HSPUs – did 5×5 slow eccentric lowering into a full HSPU.

B: 9:01. This one always looks easy on the board, but seems to creep up on me…

A. 70kg. Not too shabby.
    B. 1 x 100, 4 x 110kg. Felt good.
    C. 6:29. Took two minutes off my previous time. Very pleased! All DU unbroken. The only downside is that I can’t see much improvement down the line now. In the past I could always blame slow time on DUs. Nice to do a DU workout that doesn’t fatigue your arms in other movements.

Think I know that girl in the pic. And as of yesterday she now has muscle-ups. She is now the self-appointed star child of the family.

A. Worked on sets of 3 cleans – 35kg
    B. 55kg
    C. 26 DUs in the round of 40. DUs were working for me this morning πŸ˜€

• Mark says:

A: 60kg. Turns out this is a 3RM push press PB.
    B: 80kg.
    c: 6.52.

A. Got 2 push presses at 45kgs. Complete complex at 40kgs.
    B. 75kgs
    C. Two double unders in a row! First time ever. Thanks Fee for making me try!! Ended up with about 5 double unders in the set of 40.

• Josh B says:

Fun complex today. worked up to 80kg.
    Back squat 160kg for four sets, completely lost it on the last set.
    After all those double unders yesterday Annie was a complete bitch and the knot in my calf didnt help either, so I got about 7 into the set of 30 DU before i swapped out to 3min ME on the airdyne… Not fun…

• Bec B says:

A. 40kg, jerk felt really easy after the presses
    B. 55kg working sets, these actually finished alright… need to test that 1rm so I can sound like Annie ‘loud noises’ πŸ™‚
    C. Awesome crew at 10am which left my awful double unders very exposed! Good practice though, timed out in the 20 DU’s

• Dave P says:

A. Totally uncoordinated today but hit 70kg but stopped due to a dodgy wrist
    B. Worked at 130kg
    C. Stoked to finish Annie, even if it was outside the time cap. Thanks to the 5:30am crew for getting me through. The last time I did Annie, I didn’t make it past the 50 DU’s so a huge improvement

• Annie says:

A. Worked up to 52.5kg. Cycled 50kg but not 52.5kg.
    B. Worked up to 68kg
    C. 7:06 PB by 1:41

• Karl Buchhorn says:

95kg

152.5kg for 3 sets 155kg for 2 sets

5:03

Annie… definitely in my top 3 favourite workouts πŸ˜‰
    Great vibe this morning.

A) nice complex to string together. Worked up to a few sets at 70kg.

B) over estimated my fatigue and started too light. Worked from 90 to 105kg for a few sets.

C) 5:36 – several fumbles in rd of 30 and 20 got me… as well as Karl’s fumble hahaha good to know we all have those moments πŸ˜‰

A: 45Kg
    B: 70Kg this was tough, but good
    C: 7:45 pretty happy with this, last time I did it was my first month at crossfit and I was on D/U the whole time – got fed up and did a few sit ups.
    YAY FOR SHARON WITH HER DOUBLE – DOUBLE UNDERS!!!

• KJ says:

A: complex @60kg
    B: 5×2 @ 85kg. Had a crack at 100kg
    – my goal weight for BS – just for fun. Almost! Next time – before doing [email protected]% !
    C: Annie …. Had it in my head I wanted to get 6.30mins. My old time was 7.20. Was looking good….until in the set of 30 DU – my rope broke and flew across the room!!! I froze! Tahni raced over and grabbed me another rope.
    Finished 6.40mins. Darn it. Next time! Of course….tahni smashed it! 5.40 something. She rocks.

A: Worked up to 55kg – Really pleased with this, each rep was tough and it’s also a new 3RM for push press (+5kg)
    B: 3 sets @ 80kg, [email protected] 82.5 and [email protected] 85kg – looking forward to testing 1RM again (currently @ 92kg)
    C: 7:08 PB – previous was 7:50
    There was a whole lot going on for that 8 mins – lost focus when KJ broke her rope beside me and took a while to get going again, then tripped up again a few times in the 20’s & 10’s. Had to reset a couple of times on situps because I was sliding backwards towards the line of someone else’s rope. Was anxious about beating my previous time because I think I only tripped once at the time. Happy to know that there is definitely room for improvement on my next go.
    Great session again tonight! πŸ‘

• Amelia says:

A. worked up to 50kg
    B. 3 reps at 70, but failed the last so dropped down to 65. did not have time for 5th set
    C. 7.18

Strength:
    a) 55kg
    b) 4×[email protected] – ran out of time for fifth set
    c) 6:16 – PB by approx. 1:45

Great working with Bec today!

A: 50kg – thanks to the encouragement from Coach Bec and Kettie. I hate overhead and was willing to leave it at 45 haha.
    B: I think I’m back! Knee held up for sets [email protected] 95kg, 3 @100kg and last one @ 95kg again.
    C: First time with Annie and got to something like 27/40 sit ups? Double unders still slow and painful (whips!) but definitely on the improve!!!

• A: 80kg
    B: [email protected]
    C: 7:42 as always Annie crushes me. Situps just do not go faster.

A. 72kg think I may have had a little more in the tank which suprised me so I ran out of time

B. All sets at 132kg and felt really good

C. Previous pb was 9:56 so really didnt think id get this done in under 8 minutes so I was very happy to finish in 7:52. All double unders were unbroken just need to get better at situps always been shit for me

A: got up to 40kg, could have tried 45kg but ran out of time.

B: 1 set at 67.5kg then to make it easier just did the rest at 70kg same weight as Sara (1rm is 75kg). There was 4 of us on the one bar so we only got through 3 rounds.

C: disappointed with this one. Rope kept catching on the heel of my shoe so I took them off, figured out last night my double unders are a lot better without shoes….but then I started getting pretty bad shin and heel pain so after I did my round of 50 sit ups I put my shoes back on which didn’t work out as planned and I had to untie and re-tie so I wasted a lot of time . Only managed 35/40 double unders. Last time I got 4/40 sit ups but pretty sure we had 10 mins so I am comfortable I would have beaten that.

• Kylie J says:

A. 55kg
    B. 90kg, back is getting there
    C. DNF, subbed rowing for DUs, now appreciate how much you use your abs while rowing!

• RACH says:

A: 45kg
    B: 3 @ 65; 4 @ 70kg
    C: rowing (250,200,150,100,50m) sub for DUs. Finished with 50m & 10 situps left.

• Aldog says:

A: Worked at 35kg, was fun above head, just the clean i didn’t want to push 2nd session back
    B: only went light to work on form – worked at 35kg
    C: 10/20 D/U’s

• Craig W says:

Worked with Alex for this one
    A. Subbed the clean from out of the rack due to injury and made 85kg cycling the PP and straight into PJ (subbed for split)
    B. Hit 150kg for 4 sets (ran out of time)
    C. Subbed the DU’s for 500/400/300/200/100m rowing – got halfway through the 300m set. Kinda overestimated the distance!

• A) 75 – Felt pretty good. Just glad I’ve got a good clean.
    B) 130 – That was pretty heavy, especially the 2nd rep.
    C) Cut off at 13 situps of round 20. Still haven’t developed abs it seems as I beat Rosie through the first DUs, but he was on his 40 situps when I finished my 50s.