max snatch balance, deadlifts and thrusters

Monday 18.8.14

6:30am crew heat 1 - hitting #thrustersAndDoubleUnders #adaptcf #train

6:30am crew heat 1 – hitting #thrustersAndDoubleUnders #adaptcf #train

A: snatch balance – 1RM (10 mins)

B: 10 mins to work up to a deadlift heavy double (w/ perfect form)

C: For time (14 min cap):

• 100 double unders
  • 10 thrusters @ 50/35kg
  • 75 double unders
  • 15 thrusters @ 50/35kg
  • 50 double unders
  • 20 thrusters @ 50/35kg
  • 25 double unders

Post loads, times (or completed reps) and training notes to comments.

Coach B

Coach and Owner of Adapt CrossFit

A. This was fun, got up to 45kgs
    B. struggled with this today, only managed 95kgs
    C. 88 double unders, highest strung together was 4 (with singles in between)

A. 65kg. Bit surprised. Must be a PB(?).
    B. 135kg. Tried 145kg but first attempt back curved straight away so dropped it. Didn’t get time for a 2nd attempt.
    C. Thrusters after Grace on Saturday? Great idea…. 13:34 RX. Quite proud of myself (except the one I bounced off the top of my head). Good one to pace yourself early. Just ask yourself “What would Froning do?”

• Brendo says:

I tried doing the “What Would Froning Do?” thing before but the only answer I could come up with was “finish the workout in 1/8th the time of his nearest competitor, have an espresso, shag his mrs and sign some autographs before the time cap.” I’m not quite there yet, so that approach didn’t work for me.

A. 8kg bar – worked on snatch warm up drills and some snatch balances. Finding the OH squat difficult at the moment – but the rest of the movements felt good.
    B. Stopped at 55kg. Form was good but didn’t want to push it this morning.
    C. 26 DUs in round 2 with the thrusters scaled to 15kg. Was super happy to get through the first 100 DUs (10 mins).

• A. 60kg ran out of time
    B. 130kg ran out again!
    C. Finished the 15 thrusters. Surely a PB for DUs?? I really got to learn to skip…

• Brendo says:

A: 50kg then ran out of time
    B: 120kg then ran out of capacity
    C: 13 DUs into the final round. So close!!

• Elaine says:

A: 40kgs
    B: 82.5kgs
    C: 20/50 DUs? so glad Ben insisted that Betty and I do 35kg thrusters because I initially thought I’ll be lucky if I get 10 done. Well done to Betty who battled out her thrusters one at a time !

Went in today with a plan to ‘ease back into Crossfit, take it easy and focus on technique and not times or numbers’ – That went out the window in part C… Crashed the bus, killed the children then got out of the bus and watched as the bus slowly fell on top of me, then the wall that the bus hit also fell on me. Then everybody jumped on top of it.

A) 55kg at the time cap – surprised myself here
    B) 2 sets at 130kg, first set was not good form, second had good first rep, horrible second.
    C) 13:40-something RX – Got to the 20 Thrusters at 7mins, everything was feeling good until 3 reps into the 20 and the children on the bus saw the giant wall. It was too late.
    Huge thanks to Coach Nick & Pip for keeping me going (and Coach B yelling from the side)… and for realising that I really needed that little nap on the ground in the middle of those thrusters.
    Glad to be back 😉

• Bec B says:

A. 30kgs ran out of time a bit here but my back had cracked it on the weekend over something so wasn’t planning on much more.
    B. 75kgs just keeping form tops
    C. 35kg thrusters were heavvvy, I think mostly because my terrible double unders blew up my shoulders!

• Tim Manning says:

A: 70kg
    B: 140kg… Really didn’t like the look of what was coming so I didn’t rush to put more weight on the bar.
    C: 11:58

• Annie says:

A. 40kg felt good. 45kg didn’t get the depth on the first try, 2nd attempt got it but it was hideous apparently.
    B. Worked up to 95kg, no noise today???
    C. Holy Balls.
    Got to 9 thrusters in 20. My shoulders burned for a good 5 mins after. Thought there was something wrong with me then saw Steveo and a few others in a world of hurt and felt a bit better 😊
    The Tourette’s that went on in my head during this WOD was sensational today.
    Good job Steveo! And Nick’s time was awesome today also.

• charnel says:

A: 50kgs but struggled to stay on my heels
    B: 100kgs
    C: Gosh I dislike DU’s! I really need to practice more often. I finished off the 10 thrusters, but after that I don’t think I got one DU!!

• David N says:

A: 45kg. Felt comfortable.
    B: 130kg. Could try for a little more with more time.
    C: about 30 or 32/40 Thrusters @50kg. Extremely unpleasant. Doubleunders were all over the place in the round of 50, my arms just couldn’t swing the rope to give me the right timing.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Snatch balance up to 80kg

Deadlift double at 190
    Single @200 second rep my back went all Sam Briggs on me so I dropped it before my shit got all messed up.

5:44 or 5:45 for the METCON

• Amelia says:

A. 40kg, was very slow under the bar.. Needs some work
    B.95kg (PR) struggled to move anything larger
    C. 11.21 (21 may be wrong but there abouts)
    Didn’t feel on top of my game today.

A: haven’t done a snatch balance with weight on the bar before so I was not sure what to expect. Got to 50kg, didn’t feel great struggled to balance, but I got there, pretty stoked!

B: tried 110kg, but felt my back arching so dropped it straight away on my first rep. Dropped down to 105kg and got it. Second rep was hard!!!

C: wow, totally underestimated this WOD! Thrusters were SO much harder than I expected….double unders were so so, started off bad but got a rhythm going in the end. Managed to just finish off the 15 thrusters.

• Matt B says:

Massive 5 pm class today!

A) 67.5kg coulda gone heavier but ran outta time

B) 135kg

c) 10:48 and then had a little moment in the gutter outside. Happy to report that I kept my lunch in check :)…….just

I then tried to cheer on Gareth who finished ran outta time with a few reps to go, with the comet of “it’s just really f#@king hard”

A: Failed 50kg – definitely had more in the tank, just ran out of time
    B: Double at 105kg and single at 110kg. Not bad considering my 1RM was 100kg before today 🙂
    C: 10:14 rx. Ouch
    Great atmosphere tonight! Even got to watch Tahn nail ring MUs, woohoo!

• Tom R says:

A) failed at 45kg. Little loner hopefully would have got it
    B) 110kgs
    C) 6/20 @ 45kgs. Man that was brutal. Glad i didn’t go Rx. 40kgs might have too easy

A: up to 55kg. Feel I could have done more with more time. If was all rush rush today!
    B: got 115, went for 125 but it felt like shit so I didn’t finish it off. Again, ran out of time to try again.
    C: first time doing DUs in ages due to knee and happy to report that I actually did the most DUs I’ve ever done in a WOD! The first 100 took me a while but I finished the round of 75 DUs and did maybe 4/15 thrusters? Something like that. Finally I feel slightly less unco at DUs haha.

A: Got up to 45kg successfully. Coach Becca told me to go quicker to the bottom instead of catching it mid height and then riding it down. Tried that with 50kg and not sure how but I seemed to get to the bottom too quick! (If thats possible) Gravity hadn’t seemed to hit the bar, I ended up sitting at the bottom having to pull the bar down, it bounced and lost balance. Ran out of time to try again. It had a long way to go to the bottom 😛
    B: 115kg
    C: 11:50 Rx – seriously didn’t think I would get through it. KJ told me I had 25 DU left then 25 Thrusters to finish and my mouth hit the floor! She double checked the board while I tried to gather my breath and the mental strength to go for more Thrusters! Luckily it was only 25 DU.. Tripped up after 3, then again, then again.. finally settled and finished.
    Thrusters in sets of 5 (rested a lot during sets, maybe a bit too much)
    Great atmosphere in the box tonight!

A. 80kg really happy with that.

B. 160kg was stoked to hit this hadnt done more than 150 since December (172kg) but while I could do 150 for 5 reps couldn’t even budge 160 much the same story tonight with the second rep being easy and only just getting the 1st and not even looking likely on 170 so not sure what it is about the really top end deads but stoked either way.

C. 13:11 pretty happy to finish this didnt think I was amy chance honestly

• A: 80kg worked up with Karl and Zac
    B: 170 felt easy, 180 not so much – didn’t come off the ground.
    C: 8:02. Glad I went first because Karl crushed it. I kept waiting to see the beads of sweat on his brow but they didn’t appear.

• Craig W says:

Great atmosphere today at the 5pm class!
    Did some double hang snatch doubles before and then flipped the big tyre (x50) and smashed the hammer on it (x100).
    A. Partnered with Rosey & Deane – I managed to hit 100kg Snatch Balance,
    B. Got a 190kg Deadlift, thought about a second rep and stood there with it but then dropped it!! Was a PR though so gotta be pleased with that.
    C. Had to swap out Double Unders for Assault Bike due to calf injury which sucked balls! Rosey was brilliant and snashed all DU’s unbroken. #belikerosey

• Kylie J says:

A. 45kg, felt good, failed 50kg. It’s there, outta time.
    B. 95kg felt good, happy with my back’s recovery progress
    C. 11min? modified, Rx thrusters and 16kg kettle bells – 50, 40, 25, 15
    no running or jumping for me – achilles, will need to be patient. My fault, ran in the wrong shoes………

• Carrie says:

First time commenting… here goes 🙂
    A: 25kg
    B: 65kg. Happy with that as previous 1RM was 60kg.
    C: Just finished the 50 DUs with 25kg thrusters.

• RACH says:

A: 32.5kg – technique focus
    B: 95kg – tough
    C: finished Rx on the buzzer – 14min exactly! Thanks Kylie & Pip for the push (nursing Achilles now….)

• Aldog says:

Back after about 3 months away from adapy.
    A: 15kg
    B: 90kg didn’t wanna push it, but felt really good
    C: 29 into 2nd lot of D/Us

Thanks to all for tonight Was awesome