a nice day for a run…

Wednesday 13.8.14

#adaptCF morning sunshine - the 6:30am crew hitting the run...

#adaptCF morning sunshine – the 6:30am crew hitting the run…

A: 10 min Handstand play – static holds, freestanding, walking, HSPU tech

B: 5 min AMRAP:

• 3 muscle-ups – scale: 3 burpee pull-ups
  • 6 shoulder to OH @ 60/40kg (any how)
  • 9 lateral bar burpees
    — rest 5 min

5 min AMRAP:

• 4 hang cleans @ 60kg
  • 8 HSPU
  • 12 OH KB swings w 32/24kg
    — rest 5 mins; then

5 min running clock:

• 800m run; then w/ remaining time:
  • ME T2B

Post training notes, loads, rounds and reps to comments

Q&A Session: The Adapt Program, Alternative Competitor Programming and making the best of Open Gym

This coming Saturday @ 9:30am (after the 8:30am session) I’ll be running a bit of a Q&A session on:

• The current [Adapt] 6 week cycle (our Current Programming) w/ explanations of what we’re working towards and what I’m trying to achieve with you guys.
  • Competitor Programming – w/ explanations of a number of different programs and the current direction we’d like our athletes to take (for people looking for extra volume) and the best way to go about it; and
  • Making the most of Open Gym – where we’ll explain the benefit of following a personalised, specific program for individuals that works in tandem with our existing 6 week cycle.

If you’re interested in attending or you’ve got some questions/topics that you’d like us to answer/cover, please let us know in comments.

Coach B

Coach B

A. Spent my time doing handstands next to the wall so that I could try to steady myself and hold just off the wall. Best I managed was about a ten second hold. It was good to be able to keep upright and I was aware that I could use my fingers/wrists to adjust position (but not very well).
    B1. 2 rounds plus 4 shoulder to overhead.
    B2. 2 rounds and one hang clean.
    B3. 22 T2B.
    Felt pretty drained at the end of this. I find the WODs with heavy(ish) weights tend to leave me more drained, so that my recovery is slower than the more cario/body weight WODs.

A. I have just had a week off to rest a sore/ tight upper trap that I getting physio on, so took it nice and easy. Don’t have handstands yet but played around with frog stands, planks and the starting position of a wall walk.
    B1. Scaled to a 15kg bar for shoulder to overhead (mostly push jerks). Timed out in the first round of burpees.
    B2. Scaled to 35kg cleans, pushup and 16kg russian swings. Got to the push ups in the second round.
    B3. 800m run in 6 minutes. Really felt like a turtle running through peanut butter, but it was good to get a time for this.

Slow running is better than no running!

A..still can’t find my lost handstands
    B. Scaled to forward rolls. Got to one burpee in second round.
    C. Scaled to push ups and 16kg bell. Got to 10 Swings in the second round.
    D. 800m run in 5.25

• Leanne says:

Hey peeps… So I dropped in tonight on the 5pm class just in time to catch Tarryn doing ‘unbanded’ pullups…that means, no bands!!
    High fives chick, so proud😁

• Matt B says:

Ok, so I walked (kinda) in to the box today after the last two days of heavy work.

a) managed 1 1/2 lengths of the gym with a handstand walk….it’s kinda my thing

b) 2 rounds plus 3 muscle ups, was super stoked to string these together

c) 2 rounds plus 8 HSPU, was again happy to string the cleans together using stretch reflex….but oh man, were those kb swings HEAVY!

d) 20 T2B

A. Happy to work on freestanding and walks for the most part. Improving so much
    B1. 0 but I did bust out my 1st ring muscle up before class and got 3 so im counting this as the best 0 iv ever got
    B2. 1 rounds stoked to keep my hspu in sets of 4 and with really good technique by far the best iv done with them.
    B3. 22 t2b

• Ben M says:

A) worked on static holds, not much luck there

B) 1 round and a couple of failed MU in the 2nd
    C) 2 rounds 8 HSPU
    D) 27 T2B

• Bec B says:

A. Love handstand play! I was just thinking about it yesterday – need to practice!
    B1. Spent most of the WOD complaining about a tear on my hand! Forgot my gloves so borrowed a pair that were too big and tape didn’t hold so everything was just sliding around and hurtie 🙁 Some number of S2O in the second round
    B. Still complaining and finished the cleans in the second round
    C. 5 T2B. Now it’s time for some hand care!!

A: Worked on handstand walking – feeling more comfortable.
    B1: 2 rounds and 4? Lateral bar burpees – I subbed to burpee pull ups instead of MU
    B2: 2 rounds and 8 or 9 KBS (before I relaxed a second too early and kinda dropped it on my head :P)
    B3: 4 mins to do the run (I was in no hurry to get on that bar for T2B! Ended up with 9 or 10, they felt a lot better than I thought they would after the run – still have a kip in between each rep but managed 6 or 7 without dropping off the bar.
    Was really great to train with Fee again 😀

A: I feel like these are somehow getting better despite not practicing much. Got a few freestanding holds by kicking up to the wall and moving off, then maybe a split second complete free standing one?? and a couple of tumbles haha.
    B1: 2 rounds and 1 burpee pull up
    B2: 2 rounds and I think 3 HSPUs – these were my first time doing HSPUs in a WOD – pretty bloody pleased with that!! Just have to work on more control and taking it slower.
    B3: Knee still isn’t great on hard running, doesnt seem to like long strides, so took it slow, got it in under the 5 mins, and managed one T2B with 10 seconds left. A nice end!

I really enjoyed today’s workout!!

• Nathan says:

A: Enjoyed HS practice, HS walks are definitely a weak spot for me.

B: Worked with Jordan tonight
    b1: 2 rounds + 2 muscle ups (haven’t done MU’s in ages, fatigued quickly) rx.

b2: 2 rounds rx

b3: 21 T2B

Looking forward to Q&A on sat regarding optimising Open Gym……. Really been enjoying the diversity and variety of the Adapt programming lately though…its nice that it’s not at all one dimensional (as I have experienced elsewhere). Keep up the good work coaches.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

hit some freestanding HSPU stuff with KJ

3rounds + 9 reps
    3rounds + 4 reps
    36 t2b

A few ups and downs tonight, but all in all a good sess and feel great (and sore) now!

A: love handstands! Practiced free hold and walking, after walking the wrong way a number of times I managed to walk 4 steps! Yay!

B1: got the red and yellow bands out but in the heat of the moment decided to try kipping pull ups instead….nailed it! Got through 1 round plus 4 (?) S2OH @ 40kg and managed to do all 6 burpee pull ups without bands and I didn’t fail any! Super stoked!

B2: this is where it went bad…..only managed 6 HSPU on the ab mat. …failed a lot and didn’t get anywhere 🙁

B3: this wasn’t much better….running and me don’t go well together, I am just no good at it. Managed to get back in the door with 10 sec to go but didn’t make too much effort to get in a T2B. I did however do the run with no walking which is a huge improvement! Breathing is improving, need to work on sluggish pace. Thanks to Em for running slowly with me so I didn’t get abducted haha!

A: Nailed some freestanding HSPU
    B1: 2 rounds + 2 MU, rx – managed to string some sets of two MU together
    B2: 2 rounds + 4 hang cleans, rx
    B3: 3:30 + 16 T2B

Feeling a bit battered at the moment so was good to keep moving!