3 Position clean + 1 push jerk

Wednesday 6.8.14

A: 3 position clean (floor, knee, power pos/hi hang) + 1 push jerk.

Coaches notes: Cycling barbell movements

Part of the focus of our current cycle is to start seeing you guys move with more efficiency under a barbell. Over the coming weeks you can expect more instruction on how to cycle (string together unbroken reps of) various barbell movements. Today, if you’re moving well, I’d like to see if you can string together each part of the complex utilising stretch-reflex – specifically targeting the hamstrings (eg. you need to feel the tension of the stretch, then go)

Video Demo: Cycling this morning’s clean complex. Instead of pausing at each position try to use stretch-reflex to bounce out of each position. After the final clean from the hi hang (power position) try and bounce out of the catch (front rack) straight into a speedy push jerk…

B: Partner workout

10 min AMRAP (P1 goes while P2 rests, then vice-versa):

• 10 pistols – scaling: partner assisted
  • 10 T2B
    — rounds shouldn’t take more than 90 secs – if it does, swap out at 90 secs.

then

5 min AMRAP (P1 goes while P2 rests, then vice-versa):

• ME power clean and jerks @ 60/40kg

You’ll notice that P2 doesn’t have to do any static holds today so it’s really important that you guys to each – to maximise your transitions off and on the barbell and for appropriate work/rest ratio.

Post training notes, loads, rounds and reps to comments (I’d also love to know what you guys thought of today’s session?)

Coach B

Coach and Owner of Adapt CrossFit

A. 70kg with no pauses. Jumped to 80 and had to pause. Failed once then got it after a rest. Just might have push pressed the “jerk”.
    B. Worked with Mike. Not sure how many rounds we did. Think I had just done the pistols in round 9 or 11. 35 – boosted by Mike doing about 8 or 9 in the last minute. We seemed to settle on sets of 4 mostly.

A. Got 65 once, tried a couple of times more for volume but couldn’t maintain so went back to 60 (my back was starting to get tight)
    B1) Was a one man team – consistently did 1 min rounds and 1 min rest with Coach B helping me with the Pistols. (Did we really do 10 mins?)
    B2) Finished with 21

I’m liking getting to do more work on efficient barbell movements.

A) Worked at 30kg Only. Still looking after my knee, enjoyed working on technique and trying to cycles without rushing…

B) Squats instead of pistols and knees to chest.
    C) 40 Reps at 30kg. working by myself on this movement.

• A. 80kg. Tried 90kg but failed the press (grip was too close)
    B. Worked with Ivan – he is weapon with pistols and t2bs. Not sure of our numbers – was trying to keep up with Ivan

• Mark says:

Missed a few sessions lately due to illness and injury, but good to be back.
    A: Cycled the movements at 65kg.
    B: Phil and I got about 4 or 5 rounds each, then 17 lifts

• Kylie says:

A. Very light bar for me this morning, still recovering from injury.
    B. Worked with Ray this morning and did Kettlebell swings and ring rows. I think we got through 4 rounds each??
    C. Could only watch Ray do a massive 40 power clean and jerks by himself. I like to think my yelling helped…. Amaze balls!!!

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Hit 100kg with fast cycling.

Hit three positions @110kg, didn’t have enough juice in the legs to try and jerk it. I dipped and that was it.

Worked with Alex, really not sure in regards to rounds and reps here. For the clean and jerks I just said pick a number you can maintain and hit consistently without staring at the bar. Both hit doubles as fast as we could

• Becca says:

A. Worked up to 45kg cycling together – this was hard!
    B. Was working out at lunch on my own today, so just did 4 rounds of 10 pistols, 10 T2B, then gave myself a 45 sec rest and hit Grace. (30 C & J’s), by the 12th rep i wasn’t happy with that decision, especially since i wasn’t fresh, but got through it in 6:13 which included a wander over to whiteboard to grab the stopwatch mid way. Thinking a 5min something Grace is in the cards soon.

• James says:

Was great to jump into the 6pm class today. Worked with Karel for some cleans and Partner Grace??? Fun fun.
    A: 90kg
    B1: 8Rds + 7 T2b
    B2: 47 C+J

• Amelia says:

A. 40 with no pauses, 45 and 50 with pauses. 45 was nice, jerk got ugly on the 50.
    B. Worked with Sarah for 9 rounds and 4 t2b, 33 c+j.
    Really fun session.

• Tom R says:

Working with Jimmy tonight after a week off due to travel and a wicked cold.
    A) worked up 60. Just off my 1rm so ok with that. Tried to pick up the pace.
    B) 7 rounds 2 T2B. 16 C+J. Slow on the pistols and c+j were tough at the end

A: Worked up to 55. First full depth oly lifts since injury – felt amazing!
    B: Subbed pistols for 20kg KB swings and T2B for Knee raises as mine are still a bit slow and I didnt want to hold Megan up!
    C: No idea how many we got through in the end, but i managed to cycle most of them pretty quickly, without a break for the jerk.

• charnel says:

A: 50kg with no pauses. It felt really good and I prob should have gone a little bit heavier. I’m surprised as I usually struggle to get 50kg from the high hang position.
    B: Worked with Karen – not sure how many rounds we managed. My T2B have gone to crap, I obviously need to practice this more often.
    C: I think we managed around 33 C&Js at 40kg.