The Day after Karen

Thursday 31.7.14

Sorry @ewen.lawler - Deano just pipped you with a 1480mm #whiteMenCanJump #adaptcf

Sorry Ewen – Deano just pipped you with a 1480mm #whiteMenCanJump #yesterday

A: 15 mins to establish heavy snatch triple – can reset after each rep (just make sure you’re back on the bar within 5 sec)

We snatch all the time but it’s been a while since we hit power snatches. Today I’d really like you to focus on achieving full lockout in the catch position. I’d even encourage you to pause in the catch (2 sec) and then stand up. Be generous with this position – catch with your hip crease slightly above your knee (but not full depth like normal) As always: Leave your ego at the door and only progress loads if your form is flawless and your lifts feels awesome.

B: strength

• If you [didn’t] do Karen yesterday – 10 mins to work up to a heavy double front squat
  • If you [did] do Karen yesterday – 10 mins to work up to a heavy double deadlift

C: Deadlift/Burpee WOD

5 rounds for time (4 min cap – used to be a 5 min cap but we ran out of time today)

• 5 deadlifts @ 60% of 1RM -> prescribed: 125/85kg (only if your 1RM is bigger than 160/100kg)
  • 10 burpees

This. Is. A. Crash-the-bus. Workout. Deadlift should be done touch n’ go (hence the 60% of 1RM) It’s all about speed yeah. The only standards for burpees today is that your chest must be on the ground (@ the bottom) and your feet must be off the ground (jump @ the top of the movement) – Expect things to get spicy around the third set of burpees – but you’ve got to keep on pushing.

Times to beat (the whiteboard) 2:32 (M: Sash Tank) and 3:41 (F: Kenny Lawler) if you’re ‘feeling it’ today…

Compare DL/burpee WOD to 25.1.14

post loads, times (or completed rounds and reps) to comments.

Coach B

A. 55kg. 3rd rep was a bit of a press spin dropped back to a couple of rounds @40kg. Trying to get in the habit of always finishing with successful lifts and good form.
    B. Played OZtag last night so I have particularly sore post-Karen glutes and quads. Only went to 90 and didn’t like it much.
    C. Given what I said above, I surprised myself here. 3:13 @ 90kg. An improvement from 3:30 @ 80kg in January.

A. 65kg – need to work on keeping my ass down as Coach B puts it.
    B. Did deadlifts – got to 100kg concentrating on technique (my back/form is the constant limiter here)
    C. 3:36 @ 80kg – stoked to actually finish this one.

• David N says:

A: 40/45kg form needs some improvement so wasnt going for max here.
    B:85kg double front squat. Felt good and would have tried 90kg next but no time.
    C: 43 burpees in 4min. Ben took me down from 90 to 80 which probably saved my life. From the second round I was battling with the burpees. Deadlift sets were all unbroken but they took their toll on me when it came to the burpees.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Snatches up to 77kg for a triple.

145kg double front squat

3:37@125kg deadlift burpee time

• Sam B says:

A: Worked at 40kg for a while. Had a few attempts at 45kg, but couldn’t get under the bar fast enough for three reps. Could have muscled it, but tried to stick to good form.

B: 85kg.

C: DNF in the 4 min time cap, got to 1 burpee in the last round, lifting 80kg for the deads. In Jan I did the same WOD with 78kg and fnished in 4:44. I think this was comparable.

• Bec B says:

A. 32.5, failed the third at 35kg just ran out of steam.
    B. Hit a double front squat at 55kg recently so I went for 57.5 even though I wasn’t feeling as strong as that day, failed the first rep! Too keen.
    C. 4 rounds on the buzzer at 60kg, pretty spicy! Shout out to Kayla who got this done with 5 secs to spare at 65kg, awesome to watch 🙂

• A) 75kg. Failed at 80kg and dropped it back. Not pulling myself under the bar fast enough.
    B) 130kg. Felt pretty good. Didn’t push myself too hard.
    C) 4 rounds and 3 burpees. Legs were really feeling it in the burpees and just couldn’t push to get those last few.