The [Real] Bear Complex

Thursday 24.7.14

Bec P answering the question: is it ok to Lift barbells when pregnant? (Yes) - keep it light and focused on great technique and you're good #canLift

Bec P answering the question: is it ok to Lift barbells when pregnant? (Yes) – keep it light and focused on great technique and you’re good #canLift

The [Real] Bear complex:

• power clean
  • front squat
  • push-press (over to the back)
  • back squat
  • push-press – back to the front, then to the ground
    — touch n go into the next rep -> complete 7 reps for a set.

or

• squat clean to thruster (cluster)
  • back squat to thruster (buster)
    — touch n go into the next rep -> complete 7 reps for a set.

Get to a working weight (should be difficult to complete) and then increase loads across 5 sets.

Post loads for each set (and training notes) to comments

Coach B

Worked with Tim and Morton today.

Working sets at 40,41,45,47,50.

I’m smoked. That last set was tough.

• Ouch! 20, 21, 22.5, 23.5, 25!
    To be honest, the last set felt good, exhausting, but good
    LOVED the camaraderie this morning, everyone encouraging and cheering on others in the final rounds. Happy times 🙂

• Karl Buchhorn says:

No training for me today, stuck at university all day.

A few weeks ago I did a pretty nasty workout involving the bear complex. 30 reps for time @70kg ended up just hitting one every 30seconds.

Woke myself up @2am to watch some insanely huge topless dudes swim and do thrusters & burpees only to find that the feed was having ‘technical difficulties’ worst thing ever!! Hopefully that doesn’t happen again. Go Rich 4peat baby!!

• charnel says:

Wow this was tough! I thought it was going to be a cruisy weightlifting sesh!

Warmed up on 25kgs and then with instructions from Ben I jumped straight up to 35kgs to begin my working set. 35,36,37 (failed on last 3), then had another go at 37 which I completed – yay! Ran out of time and strength to attempt anymore haha

Have to agree with the other posts so far. Looks OK on the board, then it feels easy on that first clean. And then it just gets harder. Worked with Mike and went 40, 42, 45, 47, 50. From about 45 I was having to break down at least some of the movements. Last round I think I broke them All down into components.

And in more news in the father-son rivalry: Ewen got a 90kg power clean. That probably deals the win. But I shall keep trying.

Was hard but fun. Got 45 for the light bear Complex a few weeks ago. Started at 25 today and finished on 35kgs.

• PaulT says:

Starting at 30kg, I worked up to 47.5kg.
    30-32.5-35-37.5-40-42.5-45-47.5

The cluster/buster approach is definitely the way to go.

Did this minus the squats, so power clean, push press, behind the neck push press. Changed to hang power cleans after a couple of rounds too. Worked up to 40kg only.

• Gabriel says:

40,45,47.5,50 then running out of time jumped up to 55 but only managed 5 reps before failing on the oush press. This one was really good although I probably wouldn’t have said that whilst doing it. Was doing cluster/buster combo which I think was a bit easier as my 1RM cluster is higher than my 1RM push press.

Great drill!
    Worked with Gabe today, awesome lifts by him!
    I hit 40, 45, 47.5, 50 then 55 all cluster/buster movements (I prefer leg movements rather than arms haha).
    Kinda wanted to try 60, but will give it a crack next time 🙂

• 42, 47, 49 and 52.
    Failed once on 49.Thanks to Ben for talking through my second attempt at it, and for Craig for not pointing out I’d picked up the 22kg bar until I’d finished.

• Amelia says:

wasn’t able to make session times today, but completed workout during the day:
    A. 20, 25, 30, 35, 37.5, 40, attempted 42.5 and failed at 5th rep