Pause C&J, Front squat double and max effort pull-ups

21.7.14

5:30am massive getting it done - pause clean and jerks #stronger #whileYouWereSleeping

5:30am massive getting it done – pause clean and jerks #stronger #whileYouWereSleeping

A: Pause clean and jerk (3 second pause @ knee)

B: 10 mins to work up to a heavy double front squat

C: 4 mins ME pull-ups (ring rows)

Compare to 19.5.14

Post results to comments.

Coach B

A. 80kg (up 10kg)
    B. 70kg (down 10kg from last time – was focusing heaps on technique today – keeping my chest up and back straight)
    C. 55 (up 13)

Great working with Mark today – he surprised himself on the Front squats!

• Ashleigh says:

A: 35kgs – still working on getting depth in the split jerk… and not just pressing it…oops!
    B: 45kgs (1RM a few weeks back was 42.5kgs! Yay!)
    C: 57 Ring Rows…. and after Fran on Saturday, that was just MEAN!

A. New 1RM up from 51 to 52kgs
    B. New 2RM up from 65 to 67kgs
    C. Increase on last time, 34 to 37 ring rows

Pretty much identical for me:
    A. 80kg (same as last time). Tried 85 twice, but felt a bit sluggish and just didn’t get under it.
    B. 100kg (same again). Lifted 106 once, but failed the second. Last time I did 110kg and lifted it once.
    C. 68 (70 last time). Feel I might have done better if not for Saturday’s Fran. Maybe, maybe not.

A: 55Kgs
    B: 65Kgs
    C: 110 squats with a baby seal (not so much fun after A and B – thanks coach (my fault for having a bung arm I guess)!!!
    Stoked to work with Sharon “I’m the PR queen” Simonsen….. who smashed this morning!

Oh I get a nick name!!! Always great working with you Fee thanks for pushing me!

Pretty much exactly the same as last time
    A. 40kg – these have been fairly inconsistant lately. Somedays I will be cloase to 50kg, other days I will be struggling to get 40kg.
    B. 50kg
    C. 45 – improvement by 1, ha ha. Felt like a huge improvement at the time though :/

• Matt B says:

a) worked with Nick and pulled 90kg. The hard part for these was knowing when to breathe!

b) single at 100kg, only 90kg for a double

c) got 75 Pullups in 2:20, before ripping badly on my right hand…Still hurts πŸ™

I was on track for 100 too!

• kirsten says:

A: 50kg
    B: 50kg
    C: my pull ups need work – red band 11
    Had a week off training last week due to back and neck issues but happy to be back in this week!

• Ben M says:

A) 70kg didn’t try any higher, shoulder was being stupid
    B) 100kg, new 2rm (up from 92)
    C) 82, up from 36 – butterflies have improved a lot since last time although there is still a lot of work to do. wasn’t a great rhythm

• Bec B says:

It’s my weekend so 10am sessions πŸ™‚
    A. Struggled to warm up this morning and so the jerk was hurting. Had to grab an unloaded bar and go through a bunch of strict press, push press etc to get it going. Then only got to 35kg in the time. Think I might need to start hitting the rower when I get in!
    B. 55kg which felt really good.
    C. 30 kipping. Haven’t done this before so pb πŸ™‚

• Amelia says:

had worked on my C+J and front squat yesterday (silly), so took today kind of essay.
    A. 50. hit this a few times, but wanted to work on my jerk instead of moving big numbers
    B. 65. gave 70 a go but no luck
    C. 16 was working on my kip, but can’t get it together past a single and the occasional double. going to focus on my strict for a while longer.

A: Was working with Amelia and we both needed round work on our Jerk so we stayed at 50kg to work on it. Got 55kg last time.

B: got the double at 60kg, failed the second rep last time so happy with that. Failed 65kg.

C: was going to work on kipping but wasn’t feeling it today so got some bands out and worked on strict. Managed one on the red band and then used red and yellow. Such a struggle today and after mucking around only managed 9 reps. Disappointed πŸ™

• Cindyd says:

The gym just got a little bit louder, 7weeksnpost op & I’m finally back in classes. I came armed with instructions from Coach Craig, I obeyed most of them (pls don’t read section C Craig).

A: Worked up to 45kg doing just Pause Clean, no jerk. I focussed on the pop at the thighs & getting under it quickly.

B: I called it at 50kg as the pressure on my core getting out of the core wasn’t enjoyable & I was told don’t go to max.

C: The thought of ring rows was killing my life so I did kipping pull ups. These where tough, I fought hard for each rep, but I loved it, I’ve missed pull ups…. so weird!

So great to be back in a 5pm class, where there’s plenty of smack talk, loads of fun & a little bit of grunting πŸ˜‰

• DJ says:

A: 80kg,
    B: 95kg
    C: 59 pull-ups.

A. 92kg
    B. 112kg
    C. 57

Didnt eat much before the session so I felt myself die after the c&j and after that numbers were just under last time

• charnel says:

A: 60kg PB – managed to do this twice as my first one was a bit ugly!
    B: 70kg PB. Now I want to test my 1RM
    C: 25 with purple and red (I think)

First of all it is sooooooo good to be back in the gym, even though it’s only been about a week and a half…..
    So working with a knee injury and modified movements tonight.
    A: Worked up to 50kg and did that a couple of times with a power clean and a push jerk only.
    B: Worked on push presses instead. Up to a heavy 5 of 40kg and did that a few times.
    C: When we did this in May it was the first time I ever got kipping pullups and havent done one since! Until tonight – 7 kipping pull-ups, some fantastic, some questionable and a lot of no reps. But I feel like they are closer! In May I got 4.

• Tom R says:

A) 60kgs. Same as before. Felt better but left shoulder felt weird on the jerk (felt similar on thrusters on sat) need to investigate

B) 81kgs. New PB. 11kgs better that May

C) 43. 6 better but considering the state of my hands from sat, could have easily got another 5-10 all healed up

• Gabriel says:

A: 80kg although the jerk was ugly, last time I only did cleans because of shoulder problems and got 80 so happy to get the jerk at 80 this time
    B: 90kg, went to 97.5kg to try and better my 95kg last time but only got a single out
    C: 60 pull-ups, didn’t do this last time so I guess that means an improvement of 60 reps?

• john parr says:

A: 90kg

B: did something special on the last c&j to my wrist so i had to squat with that cross grip and that was a new experience , and worked to 90kg

C: 74

• A) 90kg. Blacked out at the bottom of the squat at 95. That pause really takes it out of you.
    B) 100kg. Held that for 3 sets to get some volume.
    C) 53.

Replicated last week, 80kg C&J, got 90kg clean but got into my head for the jerk again πŸ™
    Got 110kg double again, couldn’t get a single at 115 – felt hip flexor going weak so called it there.
    Up by 4 reps (57 -> 61).
    Going for an Open gym session to get my confidence under the bar again…