bear complex and tabata mash-up

Thursday 3.7.14

A: Bear complex – work up to max weight on the following complex:

• power clean
  • front squat
  • push-press
  • back squat
  • push-press
    — lower bar below back to ground (no dropping)

Can also be performed as:

• squat clean to thruster
  • back squat to thruster
    — lower bar below back to ground (no dropping)

Usually the complex is performed in a set of 7 – eg. 1x pwr cl, f sq, pp, b sq, pp x7) increasing the load across 5 sets but I just want you guys to work up to a max [once-through] complex.

B: Tabata mash-up (12 mins):

• box jumps
  • burpees

Partner up and P1 does box jumps while P2 does burpees; then vice versa for 12 mins. Try and maintain numbers across your 20 seconds of work.

Post 3 heaviest (successful) bear complex attempts plus lowest number of reps for box jumps and burpees – eg.

A: 50, 52.5, 55kg
B: 6/6

Whole30 – Day 3

For the guys that are joining me on the Impromptu Whole30 in July I’d strongly encourage to keep track of what you’re eating and how your training is progressing. Tracking not only helps you to be accountable to yourself (an others if you want to) but it helps you to gain a better understanding of your habits and therefor take control of them.

Over the next 30 days I’ll be tracking my training and food intake on my blog. I’ll also try to drop some handy little hints that I’ve learnt from previous Whole30 experiences too. Here’s my first couple of days – hope it helps.

Coach B

Coach B

A. 60kg, 65kg, (70kg no-repped for dropping it at the end), 75kg
    B. 6/6

70kg is/was my previous 1rm for push press

A) 65kg, 67.5kg, 70kg
    B) 5/5
    A good day in the box for me. I felt strong and reasonably competent.

A. Good fun. 45kgs
    B not so good. 3 and 3.

• Mark says:

A: 55kg, 57.5kg and 60kg (on the third attempt). I think it was easier to do this as squats to thrusters rather than distinct movements, although others thought the opposite.

B: 6/6. Some box jump no reps stopped me from staying at 7.

A: 45kg. Failed 50 three times. Third fail I smacked the back of my head, so called it!
    B: 8 box jumps, 5 burpees. Tough, but as always, fun!!

• Brendo says:

Didn’t do the workout this morning, but I did come in for open gym. It looked like the 5:30am class was doing some seriously heavy lifting! Maybe part of that was due to seeing Jamie push-pressing what looked like the rear axle of an Action bus that he’d freshly ripped off. Jamie evidently takes “bring your own equipment day” pretty seriously. :p

Notable highlight from my open gym session – got a muscle-up!

• kirsten says:

A: 41kg. failed @ 42 – couldnt quite press it out from the back
    this was really fun though!
    B: 4/4 – my box jumps are getting faster in between and I was able to maintain so im okay with that score.

• Leanne says:

SORRY!!!

I had no intention on training today but yet I neglected to cancel my 6pm slot… I had it on my to-do list and bumped it a couple of times.

To any of you who may have missed out on training today because if me I’m truely, truely sorry 😔

• Tom R says:

A) 56kgs. New 1RM thruster so I’m happy with that. Tried for 57.5kg but pooped by then
    B) 7/6. Damn that was tough

• john parr says:

A: went 70kg, 80kg, 85kg. And 2 very sad attempts at 90kg

B: scored 8box jumps/ 6 burpees

• Bec B says:

A. 37.5, 40, 42.5 (failed 45) worked as cluster busters 🙂 New 1rm thruster too.
    B. 6/6. Yuck, felt good to finish that one!

A: 45, 50, 55
    B: 5 / 5 – Squeezed in 6 box jumps for about the first half but that didn’t last!

• David N says:

A: 55kg, 57kg, 60kg
    Failed 62.5kg on the second pp.
    B: 5/5. I stayed at 6/6 for most rounds but I couldn’t maintain it all the way