Snatch Drills & Mini “Mary”

Friday 13.06.14

Technique

• Snatch Technique Work

Conditioning

• Mini “Mary”
  • 10 min AMRAP
  • 5 HSPU
  • 10 Pistols
  • 15 Pullups

Post rounds and training notes to comments

sean

After a spectacular handstand fail, I’m left with a sore head and a graze on my forehead.. but I kept going and finished the pistols in the second round. Scaled to handstand holds, 16 inch box pistols and ring rows.

A. I liked the snatch drills. Would have liked to do a couple of actual lifts afterward to see if the overal result improved. Still, I can of course turn up early and use them to warm up ahead of time. Or I can sleep in and just get there on time. Tough call.
    B. So a week of pistols, squats, a game of touch footy and…pistols again!?!?! Felt really stiff before starting so I was very pleasantly surprised I could do them at all. And I even did it without the plate under my heel (an improvement over earlier in the week). Still some pretty sloppy ones, and a couple of complete fails, but knocked out 4 rounds + five pistols. Now I’m at work and I have to brace myself just to get out of the chair.

Finished 1 round + 1 pullup was stoked to string the 5 hspu together in the 1st round knew that I was smoking myself and payed the price in the 2nd round but dont care I did them. Pistols were on a box

• Sam B says:

A: It was good to review all the drills for snatches. I’ve been trying to do some empty bar work before every class: now I’ll include a few of these drills again.

B: 2 rounds and 2 HSPU. Did everything Rx, pistols felt fine, pull-ups were ok, but for some reason I just couldn’t get the HSPUs. I probably squeezed out about twice as many no-reps as I did actual HSPUs… My shoulders just didn’t have any juice, and my feet kept coming off the wall. So this little workout turned into an exercise in HSPU technique with a few pistols and pull-ups thrown in for variety. Oh well…

A: Snatch drills are good – I usually do some of these when warming up my shoulders for open gym work. There a one or two more that I will incorporate as well especially the 2 to 1 pull using the lats.
    B: 1 pullup short of 3 rounds Rx
    Really happy that I have all movements Rx now.
    Pistols were slower today as I was feeling pretty lifeless this morning.
    HSPU all unbroken, pullups were a couple of sets of 3&4 to start then doubles. Last round went to singles as my grip wouldn’t let me hold on for the second – should have got chalk but not enough time. πŸ˜›
    My hands are pretty tender now after all the bar work this week (T2B and general Gymnastic skill work in open gym) – no tears though πŸ™‚

• Brendo says:

Snatch drills – need more! Just signed up for Open Gym so on the off-days that I’m allowed out, I know what I’ll be doing. You might also catch me meditating and repeating my mantra “Ommm…Be less shit…Ommm”. Don’t be concerned, I’m just finding my centre or something.

Felt strong in the workout – 2 HSPUs into round 4. My kipping is rubbish – is there such a thing as deficit-kipping? I’m sure that’s what I’m doing.

A) Great drill – hands were frozen for the first run through :/ Will be an excellent drill to run through for Open Gym times!

B) Subbed pistols for light KB swings πŸ™ I miss pistols – hopefully I can get back on them next week! Got 4 Rds + 5 HSPU. Dialing it back and working on technique has been great this week!

A: always good to work on drills. Will try remember them for warm ups!

B: thanks to some encouragement from Sean, I got pistols without touching the ground! So excited!! 2 weeks ago I needed a box or someone to support me and now I’m doing them without help. I am using lifting shoes though, not sure if that counts as scaling? Either way, huge improvement and I’m stoked! HSPU on ab mat, and pull ups on red and yellow bands. 1 round plus 4 pistols (started failing them at the end)