What happened to Easy Meals?

Easy Meal Update

A few people have asked whether or not we were still doing our Easy Meal Packs?

Originally I started easy meals because I wanted a Paleo, super-clean, “easy” option for when I just didn’t feel like cooking (especially on the whole30) As it turned out I wasn’t the only one and so I approached a local caterer to produce meals in bulk and our Easy Meals were born. Affordable, gluten and sugar free, Whole30 compliant, frozen meals good to go – Boom!

They were a raging hit when we first released them and in the first couple of months, we shipped out over 1200 meals. We had a selection of dishes including: Musaman beef, Citrus pork, chicken provencal and Chilli Baked salmon, served with a number of different vegetable combinations (sweet potato mash and mixed greens)

Some people can eat the same food 3x a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (eg. Sean) and these people are monks. I am not a monk. I love variety and after a while, got sick of some of the meals. I used this as an opportunity to gather feedback from our regular customers (eg. to find out what they liked and what they didn’t) and worked with Adrian (our nutritionist) to develop additional meal offerings. The menu was switched up and Kangaroo sausages and Lemon and Lime Cod (our second fish dish) was added to the menu along with Kale (because it was in season)

We released Easy Meal packs for purchase (on our website) once a fortnight and over time watched sales slow. There are so many different meal providers out there now that I can only assume people went elsewhere looking from something new.

From a business standpoint, there was never enough markup on the meals (because we wanted  them to be affordable) but when sales slowed and you’ve got unpurchased meal packs sitting in the freezer for a more than a couple of weeks you really have to ask the question? Is this sustainable?

Now that we’ve opened up our new space I’ve really had to weigh up whether the effort is really worth it, so I’m throwing it back to you guys. We might be able to organise one last final order if there’s enough interest. So, if you’re keen or you have friends/family that are keen for another order – let me know in comments and I’ll speak with our caterer and organise it. If not I’ll let everyone know in the next week or so.

Coach B

Training for Thursday 12.6.14

A: Handstand development – 10 mins to work on any of the following:

• HSPU Vol (10 min EMOM)
  • handstand walking / shoulder touches
  • static / freestanding
  • frog stands / wall walks

B: 10mins to establish 1RM front squat

C: A little something, something (If you’ve already trained today don’t let the cat out of the bag – keep it a surprise for the rest of the guys 🙂

Post training notes, loads and times to comments.

Coach B

A. Played with handstand holds and some double unders as fillers
    B. got to current 1RM of 65, ran out of time to try more
    C. Finished at 7.24, which is cool coz I don’t finish often! but scaled to knee raises

A: Practiced handstand walks and got further than ever before (2 squares), they felt much more controlled – right arm is a little lazier than the left. So thrilled – practice, practice, practice – it pays off 🙂
    B: Worked up to 2 reps at 60kg – wasn’t aiming for a new 1RM this morning – just some heavy sets (current 1RM & 2RM is 70kg)
    C: Finished 9.24, really happy to finish this little “something something” as I’ve been working on an element that would usually be my limiter, slow me down a lot and not finish – for those of you that read the forum you might know what that is – cryptic 😉

A. Just did strict HSPU. About a dozen or so singles.
    B. 100kg. Failed 110kg twice (which is a shame as my 1RM in April was 110kg).
    C. 7:03 at 50kg.
    Glad to have the kids back today. Both getting over a bit of soreness so are going light for a while. Which leaves me a month or so to gloat Bout beating them. Not that I would stoop that low….BTW Tahni is not injured – she is swanning about in Vietnam for a month.

• Aldog says:

Yes I would order another set of meals. I love them and am monkish like sean

A. 3 Kipping HSPU EMOM – trying to get more efficient
    B. 100kg new PB (but it almost broke me)
    C. 7:12 @ 50kg

A) Working on HandStand Pushups. Got 1 onto a 15kg plate and Abmat with a wide hand placement.

B) Managed 110kg. New 1RM for me!

C) Didn’t finish, 6 Reps off finishing.

• James says:

A: too much banana not enough superman.
    B: 10mins goes frustratingly quickly. 110kg, folded on the 120 but I think it was in the tank.
    C: 5:12 or something silly.
    Open gym is awesome. I came in early to sort out some shoulder issues, ending up doing the Shankle complex – good fun.

• Sam B says:

A: Did about 4 or 5 sets of 3 reps of strict HSPU onto a 5kg plate with a folded blue matt on top (the deepest I’ve ever managed with a strict HSPU). Also played with freestanding handstands.

B: Worked up to 90kg. Wanted to try for 100kg, which would have beaten my old 1RM of 95. Think I probably would have got it, too, as 90kg felt pretty ok, but ran out of time…

C: 7:00 minutes at 45kg.

• Tom R says:

A) 2 kipping HSPU w/ ab mat. So stocked with that!
    B) new 1rm of 80kgs
    C) 7:50. Managed to string 5 T2Bs a couple of times

A: Did some work on freestanding holds and some (not full depth) strict HSPU
    B: No new 1RM for me. Was feeling rushed and jumped weight too quickly trying to get 100kg so didn’t get it.
    C: Lots of work still to do on my t2b. Managed to get them alright once I found a bar that i liked haha. Front squats @45kg were the easy part for me.

• pip says:

Came in at 5pm for some open gym. Worked to my t2b kip (almost) and finally got pistols 🙂 it’s only taken me two and a half years!!
    A: worked on freestanding handstands
    B: 75kg pb. Ran out of time to try 80kg but I think I would have had it.
    C: Squats were easy. T2b still all in singles. I had 8 t2b to go when the buzzer went so I went next door to finish them off. My hands were very raw by the end. All that practice before class probably wasn’t the greatest idea!