Oh the joy of wall balls…

Thursday 22.5.14 – Quick Update from Coach B

A modified (scaled) version of Event 6 from this year’s CrossFit Games Regionals.

For time (21 Minute time cap)

• 800m run (1/2 Mile)
  • 30 Over the box, box jumps. 24″/20″
  • 30 Deadlifts @ 80kg/60kg
  • 30 Wall Balls
  • 30 Ring Dips (push-ups)
  • 30 Wall Balls
  • 30 Deadlifts
  • 30 Over the box, box jumps
  • 800m run

Post times and/or completed reps to comments and/or totalWOD

Coach B

Great to do a good cardio WOD!

I was scaled to 16inch box and push ups rather than ring dips. I got to 28 push ups. I was happy with this as my guess was that I might get to about 10 push ups.

Good session working with Coops. Wall balls destroyed me today…so on that note I’m going to start subbing out my after class assault bike rides for wall balls – need to tame that goat.

Yeah, what a cracker of a workout. I finished the box jumps with 5 seconds to go. Pondered running to the door (for show) and then thought better of it and collapsed on the floor. I reckon it’s a very good idea to pace it a bit more slowly early, because the damned thing just keeps on going, and going, and going…. Still, it’s one where you feel good about yourself for having persevered.

Finished the second set of box jumps at 20:20 and Coach B advised not to go for the run (to my delight) – lay flat on my back for the remainder of the time!
    Kinda enjoyed this WOD (afterwards more than before), felt really sick as we started out for the run – probably cos I went in the second heat and knew what I was in for! and then felt sick on the last 10 reps of the second set of box jumps – probably cos I was actually spent at that stage. 😛
    Paced it really well and just kept chipping away – subbed push ups for ring dips, sets of 5 for deads and wall balls – should have done 6’s as that would have meant less sets haha

Really liked this but my legs felt awful crapping up on the 1st lap thought I was in trouble but managed to get to 25 of the box jumps done really happy with this fun one today

• Kylie says:

Was hoping that we were going to do snatch drills or something where I could pace out my morning… nope!

Finished the second set of deadlifts, with push-ups subbed for ring dips. The push-ups were the limiter but I was pretty flat overall and am feeling super drained today!

• Brendo says:

Rocked up thinking this would be another easy Thursday. Nope. Then again, what was I thinking – this is CrossFit, nothing stays the same.

Got through to 15 DLs on the home run. Did ring dips. Bugger me, I’m still hurting.

Recovering from a cold + this WOD was not fun. Happy with how far I got and really enjoyed this workout, reminded me of 14.4, long chipper (and I was sick then too).
    Got 1 over box jump in on the way back down. The first set of box jumps got me really dizzy and sick and I didn’t recover well from there.
    Awesome work by James & Jos in 10am, finishing after buzzer but still finishing it! Great stuff!

• Jocelyne says:

Finished the wod in 22:40 something, proud of my effort, subbed ring dips for push ups though, something to work on..

• James says:

Had an awesome time this morning – except for that business with the workout. Some of you may have seen the pictures on fb….. 21:42 minutes of pain. I had no idea I was so close to finishing within 21 – just assumed the time was like 24mins when I came in. Good ole fashioned slogfest.

• Sam B says:

All I can say is why, oh why didn’t I choose the blue pill?!? Went for ring dips instead of push ups this morning, and oh boy were they tired quickly after those lovely wall balls… Got to 6 wall balls after the ring dips.

• David N says:

9 of the last box Jumps and everyone was impossible after dead lifts.
    Deadlifts in sets of 5
    Substituted push ups for ring dips.

• Tom R says:

Got half way through ring dips. I really suck at these. I can barely kip them up and struggle even getting down sometimes. That’ll be my next focus.

22 Deadlifts of the second set. I was thinking on Sunday as I watched event 6 what it would be like… Now I have a vague idea. Nothing more disheartening after finishing the push ups/ring dips than having to go back and do more wall balls.

• Leanne says:

LOVE SEEING COACH BEN SO HAPPY & EXCITED !!

Took it pretty slow on my run as couldnt let my calves go into tight balls like they usually do if I push it even a little… super happy with my 16″ box jumps doing 5 at a time and then rest (used to have to talk myself into each jump)…started deadlifts at 40kg and finished them at 60kg (need to test my 1RM)…wall balls always a battle and then timed out at 6 push ups… SO HAPPY with that effort although i did have a little more to give (need someone to yell at me!!!)

well done to Kayla who completed it Rx and only 20-30secs over the cap