Pause Clean & Jerk, Front Squats & Pull-Ups

Monday 19.05.14

Strength A:

• Pause clean & jerk (with 3 second pause at knee)

Strength B:

• Heavy double front squat

Conditioning:

• 4 min ME kipping pull-ups

* If you don’t have kipping pull-ups, today you’re on ring rows

Post loads, reps to comments.

A. 80kg. Felt I could have gone slightly heavier but wanted to be careful of my (finally) recovering wrist. To be honest, only went to 80 ’cause Ewen got the clean and failed the jerk. Keeping my nose just in front for now.
    B. 100kg double, not quite there for the second at 110kg.
    C. 70. Started strong but went to singles for the last minute or so.

Enjoyed working with Jason this morning.

Regionals was good, but cost us about $600 for shoes etc (and I got zip – who’d be a parent?).

• Hannah says:

A. 38kg PB. Just did cleans as shoulder is still sore
    B. Started with 35kg then 25kg, 30kg… legs are still sore from Friday
    C. 50 ring rows

• Kylie says:

First day working with my new lifting belt which I got at regionals on Saturday. What a difference. I’m glad I waited to get one until I had gotten a pretty good strength base (especially with my chest dropping issues in all types of squats) but I never want to lift without it again!
    A: 52.5kg – PR πŸ™‚
    B: Got 2RM at 65kg – PR for 1 and 2 reps πŸ™‚
    C: 45 ring rows – I’d forgotten how hard these can be when you stay active!

A. Got upto 90kg then abandoned the pause to go after a pb and got it at 100kg stoked on this triple digits πŸ™‚
    B. 115kg 1st squat wasnt very good but just got the second one done this was 5kg more then the pr I set last week and equaled the 1rm I set last week aswell.
    C. 59 reps

A. Hit 70kg a few times with decreasing form so went back to 60.
    B. 80kg focusing on form
    C. 42

A. 40kg. Had trouble getting back leg out during the jerk.
    B. 50kg.
    C. 44 ring rows.

• Mark says:

I’m on leave this week so decided to sleep in and hit up the 6:30 sessions. πŸ™‚

A: Hit 60 and 70 ok. 80kg made the pause clean, failed on the jerk twice. Ended up hitting 75 which is equal pb.

B: 80 good. 90 got the first but failed the second. Dropped back to 85 and after a significant battle got the second one up. Checked my records and found that 85kg was my front squat pb – meaning that 90 is a new 1RM pb.

C: 47 or 57 – lost count. Was just trying to get the butterfly technique right – inspired by regionals…

…and no Sam Briggs this year!! Wow.

A: just the bar. Worked on tech (due to injury). Was mentally tough to do perfect technique with no weight.
    B: 65kg (new 2RM)
    C: 4 min on air dyne with 25 cal

• James says:

A: 95, failed 98 for the jerk.
    B: 110, single at 115
    C: 59 – Butterfly practice.

A) Worked light for several reps with 1 paused clean & 3 split jerks then as it felt good I went up and hit 80kg, got it but still not happy – better than last week though.

B) Hit 110 for the double (previous 1RM) so hit 115 for a single to get a new 1RM πŸ˜€

C) 57 reps – butterfly training πŸ™‚ felt solid.

Also, great inspirational stuff over the weekend. Not only the Aussie stuff but watching Euro and the Central Beasts! Sad to see Newbury just miss the top three after an awesome final event but some incredible feats of strength! The games are going to be great this year.

A) Got a PB of 90kg. Tried for 95 but ended up trying to lift before I got to position 1 and so failed…
    B) PB for 1RM and 2RM at 105kg. 10kg increase on my 1RM, I think I could have gone heavier.

C) 48 Ring Rows.

Great session at 10am. Great crowd. Just like the regionals! πŸ˜€

Oh and knee sleeves are the bomb!

Awesome doing the 10am and working with Nicola
    A – new 1RM up from 47 to 50
    B. 6 kgs
    C. 34 ring rows

LOVED the regionals. So inspiring!

A: 60kg – felt solid.
    B: 67kg – second rep was a bit ugly! Amazing how much catching up my legs need after almost 10 months off anything heavy!
    C: 40 odd reps. Butterflies weren’t working for me today, felt a bit clunky.

• Tom R says:

A. 60 kgs. Just 1kg off my max. Pretty happy with that. Need to do some jerk work.

B. 70kgs. Failure on this one. Ran out of time and tried to jump to 80kg (5kg more than my 2RM)

C. 37. Managed to string some together and get the core strength and control coming down.

Regionals was a blast. Got heaps of gear and pretty inspired by the performances on show. It spurred me on massively today, couldn’t wait to get to the box and hopefully keep that motivation going forward.

• Prudy90 says:

A: 52.5kg, dirty jerk but happy, heaviest I’ve managed to jerk in about 5 months.
    B: 60kg , just under my current PB so again pretty happy, form stayed really good till the 60s chest dropped a little.
    C: only 2 pull ups… Still need work
    D: working on push-ups so wanted to do at least 10 so started out with a set of 3 and wanted to keep that up so got 4 sets of 3.

A: Worked up to 55kg. Pretty happy with this. Jerk has improved a lot but there is still a bit of a press, so more work to do for sure.

B: Got the double at 55kg, failed the second rep at 60kg. Previous 1rm was 58kg so a 2kg 1rm today.

C: worked on ring rows, got 41 all up!

A: 55kg. – pretty happy as I was focusing on trying to drop quicker and not pull as high. Got a few good quick ones in there.
    B: 2 at 85kg and 1 at 90kg. – First time I’ve set a 1RM for a front squat so it’s a good start.
    C: My first kipping pullups!!! Only managed 4 good ones over the 5 mins, but I’m still counting it as a win.

A: 60kg, failed 65kg, couldn’t get out of the bottom of the squat (elbows touched my knees – game over) Ran out of time to try anything between 60 & 65. Really pleased as I only set a new 1RM (no pause :P) at 66kg last week.
    B: 2@67kg, only 1 @70 – wasn’t feeling it this evening, got 2 at 70 last week.
    C: 31 kipping pullups – sets of 5, 4, some 3’s and 2’s – tried to stay consistent and rest enough to keep the pace -really pleased with that, 5 reps is the max reps I’ve done before. πŸ™‚