Power Cleans then… Burpee Fran?

Wednesday 07.05.14

Strength:

• Max Power Clean (only perfect form counts)

– then-

• 3 x 10 TnG power cleans @ 80% of above – 90 seconds rest only

Conditioning:

21-15-9

• Pull-ups
  • Burpee box jumps

Post loads, reps to comments and TotalWOD.

A. New PR up from 47kgs to 48kgs. Then did sets at 36kgs.
    B. Scaled to ring rows and 16inch box. Focussed on real burpees rather than step up step downs. Got to 5 burpees in the round of 15.

A. Worked with Zac’s, James and Pete. Failed 90kg but got 85kg. I think that’s a power clean PB. Feeling proud, chest puffed out, go to get a drink and then… Oh the horror! Some punk not-quite-15 year old says “I’m going to have a go at 85kg.” Then he gets it – my chest deflates, shoulders slump. Bah humbug!
    B. 7:01. Really pleasantly surprised. Thought I was doing OK but only realised my time was good as I started the last round of burpees. Pushed hard through them and finished spent but happy. Don’t anyone mention that kid’s time. Please.

P.S. Comparing notes with the family on the way home, we all agree the programming has been good fun this week.

• James says:

Pretty sure my jaw fell open when Tahni told me about hewhoshallnotbenamed hitting 85kg.

• Leanne says:

Please tell hewhocannotbenamed that he is bloody awesome!!!

Well done to you as well Ivan

A. Worked with ivan james and pete got upto 90kg which im pretty happy with that pr. Was awfull at the tng stuff just couldn’t catch the bar again, smashed my quads a few times.

B. Finished in 8:57 pretty happy although butterflies disappeared after the first round though.

• Mark says:

A: Success at 75kg. Failed a few times at 80, but close.
    B: 7:40
    Good fun working with Luke this morning.

A. Bike + Technique Work
    B. 9 mins 20 something. Pretty happy with that.

A. 50kg PR. No surprises here but my power clean is bigger than my clean 🙁 Thinking I can get a 50kg clean soon 🙂
    The rest was not so good. Started at 40kg form went bad quickly, so went down to 35kg and still struggled to get reps out.

B. Scaled to ring rows and small box. Got 5 burpee box jumps into the round of 15. Doing actual burpees is challenging but happy with how I went this morning.

• Heinex says:

Still sore from Monday sesh.
    A) Ugly 95kg. Failed the century!
    B) 7:50 i think. Well done Eddie / Mark!

• Cindyd says:

A: 55kg, was lifting 57kg to my chin but just wouldn’t get under it.

Did touch & go @42.5kg, which I realised after finishing was a miscalculation. Wow that was tough.

C: I was sandwiched in between Jocelyn, Justine & Rach who all have amazing pull ups….so no pressure! Finished in 9:38. Some pull ups where all over the shop…some in sets of 5, then 3, then towards the end as I fatigued it was 1&2’s…it was ugly, but I finished.

• James says:

A1: Was cool working at the front in a big group, I think everyone hit a PB. Good job Pete, Ivan and Zac. 95kg for me, up from 90.
    A2: 10,8,6 reps at 75kg. TNG was hard, grip was the big limiter.

B: 7:38 I think. Worked with Zac – butterflies were poop today, quick singles from rd 15 on.

• Jocelyne says:

A: Managed to get 70kgs out but wasnt the perfect power clean I wanted. Did my sets at 45kgs, I really struggled to maintain good form.
    B: Finished in 8:48 which I was happy with. Pull ups are slowly becoming more efficient and i pushed through the burpee box jumps well.

• JoshW says:

10am funnnnnnn

A. Hit 90, 95, 100kgs. 100 is an equal pb. Really should of tried 105 haha.
    B. Went 4, 6, 4 at 80kgs. My forearms were jacked.
    C. Went 8:33. Burpees really slowed me down today

• Craig W says:

A. Hit a dirty 107.5 PR Power Clean (previous 100kg)
    B. Worked at 85kg but only managed 6/6/5 TnG, all with a #pommieroar but it got so hard a couple came out as yelps!
    C. Managed 6:18
    Loving this weeks programming, cheers Coach B!

Glorious (cold) 6:30am session was good – nice to work with a visitor from Perth (Cecilia Robinson – ex Regionals competitor for the last 3 years)
    A: Wasn’t sure of my previous 1RM so went as heavy as I could with keeping good form and only managed 57kg today – quicker elbows might help for the next time!
    Worked at 45kg for TnG and got all 10 for each set – needed to focus on getting under the bar quicker for last two reps of each set

B: 3/9 pullups – took a step back from crashing the bus and going full throttle as I really wanted to focus on good solid reps for my kipping pullups – paced the BBJ & maintained sets of 2 for pullups until the set of 9 when there was only 30 seconds left, went to singles.
    I was aiming to get through the round of 15, so pretty pleased.

• Nathan says:

A: 102kg, new PB. Up from 95kg, happy here 😉

B: @80kg, 7, 5, 6

C: did the 21 pull-ups and was pretty sore so stopped after the first set of pull-ups.

• Tom R says:

A) worked with Chris. Got to a new PR of 70kgs, 8kg improvement. Pretty nasty towards the end but felt good.

B) got through 7, 4 then 5 @ 55kgs. Again nasty

C) I finished!! 9:42. Kept a good pace. Even managed to make a save from a funky backwards roll off the box.

• Leanne says:

At that stage where my brain tells me one thing but my muscles say another…
    Nailed 45kg but failed to get under at 47.5kg ( three times😩)
    TnG at 35kg. Only managed 7 then 6 then 10 in the last !!
    Banded pullups and finished 5 burpees into the 15 I think.

Finisher… 6 rounds tabata turtle

TOTALLY agree with Ivan and Craig… Loving the programming this past week😍

A: woohoo! Cracked 60kg, which is a 5kg PR. Tried it last time we tested but chickened out. Failed first attempt but thanks to Seans encouragement I nailed the second! Failed 62kg twice.

B: worked at 50kg, so hard! Managed 4, 7 & 3 (I think)

C: was awesome working with Kettie, so impressive! I managed to finish 6 (?) Of 15 pull ups on yellow and orange bands. Not too happy, need to work on my pull ups!

• Matt B says:

Trained with Nath today and Only managed 90kg for the power clean. I was left for dead when Nath hit 102kg! I then struggled through the T&G for rounds of 8/7/6.

This was all made up with a 6:01 time for burpee fran… killed it with my butterfly pullups tonight

A) Tried so hard for the 90kg (after hitting 95 last week…) didn’t happen today. Maxed at 85kg.
    – Sets at 70kg, found catching the bar for the next rep was the worst part – grip and slamming on the quads added to the burn!

B) 6:34 – Happy that butterflys were working for most of it!

A1: Equal PB with 60kg, failed 65 and then ran out of time
    A2: Worked at 45. By about the 4th rep, it starts to really hurt! Managed 3 sets of 8.
    B: Wanted to work on pull ups, so struggled through and only got about halfway through the 21 burpees, cant remember exactly how many. Managed 1.5 stacks on the box in this time haha

• john parr says:

A: worked to 105kg, then went for 110kg, and that turned into a squat clean (a pr, but the wrong pr)

B: yeah