Back Squats then Snatches, T2B & DUs

Monday 05.05.14

Strength:

• 5×5 Back Squat @ 70-75% of 1RM

Conditioning:

12min AMRAP

• 7 x Snatches (50/35kg)
  • 14 x T2B
  • 56 x Double Unders

Post loads, reps to comments or TotalWOD.

A. Worked with Fee on sets at 60kgs
    B. Scaled to 25kgs, and knee raises. Got to 51 double unders in first round. Was struggling with whether to try for correct jumping form learnt on Thursday or to actaully get double unders with wrong nueral pathways… went withthe later..

• kirsten says:

A: feel a bit tender from Saturday – so went a bit lighter @ 45kg
    B: 25kg, my toes to bar were slow long rests in between and got 15 double unders. happy with my slow toes to bar ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m getting used to this 6:30am business, so much so that 50m into the warm-up lap (at 0 degrees!) I got my foot stuck in my shoe lace and took a dive and ripped some skin off my arm and leg – BUT – was awake enough to roll straight up and keep running! Positive!

A) Worked with Ivan at sets of 90kg (didn’t get many sets out).
    B) Worked with Ivan (didn’t get many rounds out) – Started at 40kg snatches, Ben got me back up to 50kg, then Coops scaled me back down. Somewhere in the 2nd round.

Yep, still feeling the after effects of Cindy. Mostly manifest in a steadfast refusal of my glutes to squat quickly in snatches. Still, stayed on my feet for the run.
    A. 90kg
    B.Finished the 2nd round of T2B just after the buzzer. Happy with 10 x 50kg snatches, esp as wrist still feels OK. Took a few to stretch into it. DU made the second round of snatches harder.
    And my nemesis is back from Central Australia. Hope he’s lost fitness.

A: 60Kg – felt surprisingly good after the weekend
    B: was 10 D/Us off completing 2 rounds. T2B went slow and had a number of no reps unfortunately.
    Steve-O, glad you are ok, but I sure wish I had seen your stack!

• Mark says:

Stiff and sore from the weekend.
    A: 60,60,65,65,65,65,70
    B: First set of snatches @ 30kg only, until I warmed up properly. Then second set @ 40kg. Finished the second round of T2B.

• Heinex says:

A) Worked with the BOSS – Coach B. 5 sets @ 110
    B) Managed 5/7 snatches in round 3. Wanted all 7.
    The BOSS managed 6/7 in round 4.

• Coach B says:

Always a pleasure to train with Heinex!
      Those snatches got heavy quick – great way to flush out DOMS after Cindy on the weekend…

Teamed up with Adam today as we are both recovering from back injuries. Aptly named “Snatch Buddies” by Coach B, we worked on snatch technique instead of back squats then did part B with an unloaded bar.

My back actually was feeling a lot better today – so stoked with that.

Managed an unbroken set of 56 DU’s as well.

Feeling very stiff from hiking yesterday so just did what I could.

A. Worked up to 35kg โ€“ squats got better as I went.

B. 49 DUs in round 1. Scaled to 20kg and knee raises. Snatches felt better than normal. I think warming up with back squats helped.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

5 sets @140 for back squats, commentary provided by window cleaner after each set.

Partnered up with James for this spicy little METCON. Finished 4 Cleans into round 5, haven’t started snatching after a shoulder niggle. Going to do light work on snatching this week at home to test things out. Cleans @60kg

• Kylie says:

I feel like its going to be a good week in the gym ๐Ÿ™‚

Warmed up with OH squats – and Coach B said I finally looked comfortable… then I realised that I kinda was. Winning!

A: 5 x 5 at 45kg. Chest breaks slightly as I tire. Feeling so much more stable though.
    B: 25kg – finished 5 snatches in the second round. T2B weren’t happening this morning. Snatches felt good when they were good though, and that was a win for me today. Haven’t ever managed to do volume at this weight for full snatches, which I know is light for some people but full snatches and I haven’t ever been friends!

• James says:

A; [email protected] (warmup) and then [email protected] – had a funny twinge in my back so I skipped the last set.

B: Worked with Karl, 3rds and 1 Sn (I did complete one extra snatch after the buzzer – so close) double unders were ssssooooo bad today.

Still feeling quite sore after Cindy on Saturday, so was good to get moving today.
    A: Five sets @ 65kg – very heavy. Legs are pretty shattered.
    B: Two rounds (ish) rx. DUs sucked today.

A: worked at 55kg, which sits nicely between 70 & 75%. First 3 of each set felt good, the remaining 2 felt super heavy.

B: 1 round plus 3 (or 4?) Snatches rx. Some snatches were good, some not so, need to stop looking down and relax my neck a bit more and focus on keeping knees out on the pull. Double unders hated me today, just could not string them together! My rope even broke halfway through! Oh well happy I worked rx and that the double unders were my biggest weakness.

• Cindyd says:

Worked at 55kg. Which I’m pleased with, was fatiguing by the last set. I had Pip check my depth & technique during this, I’m still nervous squatting.

31 Double unders in the third round. Scaled snatches to 30kg & did them from the hang. I really tried to focus on stringing T2B together, double unders didn’t suck tonight, but my cardio did. Thanks for your help Pip.

• Jesse m says:

4×75 dropped the forth one, last one at 70
    1 round and 14 t2b

• Tom R says:

A. 68 exactly 75% of my max squat. Felt good. Better on my heels
    B. 2 rounds 6 snatches @ 37.5kgs. Could have done heavier but always takes me a whole to warm up snatches.

A: Worked at 80kg, which is something like 72%. Felt good tonight.
    B: Didn’t finish the first round – Double unders letting me down as per usual. They were so good in the skill session last week, but tonight they were just not working. But happy to get through 14 t2B!! More than ever before in a WOD. And they were easier than before too.

• Cindyd says:

Next time I see you in the box, you can have a go at my magic rope, it solved my double under woes. Don’t get me wrong double unders still hate me some days, but this rope made an enormous difference.

A: Worked at 60kg (70% of 1RM) – all sets and reps were pretty good, chest didnt drop at all, feeling a lot more comfortable with my movements on these.
    B: 2 rounds and 4 snatches Rx
    Snatches were good, one at a time.. T2B were my limiter – still on singles but quicker between reps, need to stop strict singles and get onto proper kipping

• KJ says:

A: worked at 55kg – which was only about 60%. Gave myself a bit of an easy night tonight (haven’t slept or eaten well for a few days)
    B: jarred my thumb on the first snatch! Felt like crying – it really hurt! Decided to just suck it up. Got through 2 rounds and 50 DU (6 DU short of 3 rounds) with some coaching tips on my T2B along the way. Had no buddy so had a chance to muck around during the second heat. Did a few hundred extra DU until I could finally do 56 unbroken! And worked on T2b until I got a continuous swing – and 7 in a row. Then, I was happy ๐Ÿ™‚

• David N says:

A: 5 sets @ 70kg
    B: 3 rounds of snatches at 45kg. This was the right weight, I needed a good rest after each one but only 1 fail. Second round of DUs took a while to get going.