Devil’s Complex & Vol Training

Tuesday 22/04/14

Meanwhile in China

Strength

• “Devil’s Complex” Heaviest possible
  • Clean
  • Hang clean
  • Push Jerk
  • Split Jerk
  • Snatch Balance
  • T’n’G Snatch
  • Hang Snatch

Volume training

• EMOTM for 10 mins 1-7 Butterfly Pullups
  • Rebound Box Jumps

Post loads, reps and notes to comments

A) Completed the complex at 40kg. Failed the hang snatch at 50kg.

B) worked on 3 pull ups on red band each minute and between 3-4 box jumps.

A. Worked up to 30kgs but was a bit messy with the final snatch (muscle up and squat). Needs more work.
    B. Hung on the bar with lats engaged and 3-4 box jumps 12″ box

• Mark says:

A: 30, 35, failed at 40, then stuck 40 at the end. Warming up to get into the snatch position is getting quicker.
    B: Worked on butterfly pullups, with some useful tips from Sean. Ended up stringing three or so in a row, but still didn’t feel totally in control. Something to work on.

• Coach B says:

Best. Video. Ever!
    A: trained with Dale this morning and took it easy. Worked up to 60kg.
    B: starting to string together reps now – just gotta make sure they’re high enough / subbed out box jumps with triple-unders

Worked with Coops today!

Took me a while to warm up – everything was feeling bad during the complex practice..

A) Got 50kg, Failed 55kg on the hang snatch (was all sorts of fugly).

B) Worked at 4 for each.

Took me a long time to wake up and warm up today.
    A. Wrist still sore (in fact, made it sore again with the C&J 1rm last week) so just did a dew rounds at 40kg. Must say that my OHS and snatches we’re not things of beauty!
    B. Speaking of things without beauty – still grappling with butterflies. A bit like snatches in a way – mostly I just flail about but then one or two good ones just appear. And disappear again.
    Enjoyed the box jumps – worked next to Tahni and once or rice managed to keep pace with her.

• Sam B says:

Trained with the 10am crew this morning, there’s a really nice feel to this session – perhaps its just the novelty of not freezing various parts of my anatomy, as we do at 5.30!?!

A: Worked up to 40kg, still need to drop under the bar faster on the snatches, but it felt strong.

B: Don’t know how to butterfly, must ask the coaches at some stage. Stuck to regular kipping pull-ups, and rebound box jumps on a 12″ box. Box jumps – did 10 regularly. Pull-ups – started out stringing together 7, quickly realised I had been too ambitious, and by the third round it dropped to 5, and by the seventh round it had dropped to 4.

• EmilyB says:

A) Worked up to 32.5kg. This felt really heavy today.

B) Kipping pull-ups and occasional boxjumps. We were a bit disorganised in the 10am today!

Awesome busy sesh this morning 🙂

• James says:

A: 55kg. Attempted 60kg a few times. No dice.

B: maintained 4 butterflies and 8 bj throughout. 3 UB muscle up cash out.

A) worked up to 30kg, first attempt was messy so did it again, much better the second time through. Failed the hang snatch at 35kg. Got underneath it properly just didn’t lock it out properly and lost it forward.

B: worked on kipping and butterfly technique. Getting close to a kipping pull up, only need another 10-15cm or so as bar is just above eye level. I think I have the butterfly technique down just need to get the strength to get my chin over and need to work on keeping my grip for longer than 2 butterflies!

Hope everyone had a nice Easter.
    I missed training while I was away – 1 session in 12 days certainly takes it’s toll! 😛
    Some pain in my left shoulder (external rotation) due to sleeping on the floor a few nights ago! so planned to go easy with the complex.
    A: All good for 35kg – shoulder twinged on the snatch balance at 37.5kg so called it there.

B: Was really keen to try butterfly pullups so worked on the movement (stringing about 5 each round) and got a little higher each time.
    Box jumps (7-10 each round) – started on small box and then went to 20inch – I noticed that my ankles may need to be a little warmer before doing them on a higher box as there is a lot more stability needed at the bottom of the rebound.