so unbelievably sorry…

To my 5:30am crew…

I am so sorry. I sincerely apologise for not being here this morning to run you guys through a session. This is the first time this has happened in 5 years of running Adapt. It has always been a nightmare of mine to be a no-show coach and this morning it actually happened πŸ™ As it turns out I am human but I wasn’t here for you guys and I’m bitterly disappointed with myself. You know I’d give you guys burpees for being late (5 for every minute) and so I too will be held accountable for this morning’s letdown. 60×5=300 (awesome)

Thanks

A massive thanks to Erik for running you through an impromtu workout until Coops rocked up and thanks to all the guys who hung about to do it with him. Thanks Coops for opening up and the 6:30am crew who put up with my dishevelled, incoherent self for the first 20 mins of the 6:30am session.

Thursday 3.4.14

A: 1 power clean + 1 squat clean + 1 push/split jerk

B: 20 min Partner workout:

• 10 L-sit pull-ups (partner can share workload)
  • 15 wall ball (partner cannot share workload)
  • 400m run (run together)

Post loads, rounds, training notes and Coach B shaming notes to comments.

• pip says:

Coach B – it’s always been a fear of mine too. Whenever I take the AM sessions I always wake up about 5 more times throughout the night in a panic worrying that I have missed my alarm. Just glad it was you first!

• Loven says:

Yes you’re only human…But my sadistic self can’t wait to view the “Spartan 300” Burpee test #gladnot2Bu

• Loven says:

Oh I’d love to workout with Coach Erik next time πŸ™‚

• jason says:

All good Coach B – it happens.

Coach Erik is a hard task master! Was still a fun session running around in the dark.

• Kylie says:

It’s all good Ben! We had a good workout improvising outside! Coach E’s bootcamp πŸ™‚

Also managed to PR my push jerk in our quick lifting session when we came inside – 45kg.

Nice work jumping in Erik. Glad we arrived for the 6:30 class, just before Ben.

A. Was pleased to be able to do this, with plenty of strapping on the wrist. Strangely, the only time it hurt was if I tried to put the bar down carefully. Started very gently, at 30kg, but moved up steadily to do 2 reps at 80kg. Dilligently followed the instructions on the board to do push jerk – not the best at it, so each of the heavy lifts was half a press.

B. Teamed up with Adam. I think we did 5 rounds? Wall balls aren’t much fun with a sore wrist, but it does provide an effective incentive to catch it much more precisely.

I’m sure there is nobody out for your head Coach B! Don’t beat yourself up – good luck with those burpees πŸ˜›
    Props to the 5:30am crew who were hard at it outside in the dark when I arrived for the 6:30am session.

A: Worked up to 57.5kg for the complex – miscalculated and added a little too much to the bar for my next attempt, it felt really heavy [@ 65kg] – seeing as my 1RM is 62.5kg! (thought I had 60 on the bar)
    Dropped to 60kg and managed just fine.
    New PB for push jerk – previous was 50kg!

B: Worked with Karen for the partner metcon.. not sure how many rounds – maybe 5?? Just kept moving, no rest really with all the running!
    Another PB during this – I am officially off bands for strict pullups! Did the first set of 5 on a yellow band and they were way too easy, Karen suggested I go without for the next and there they were – even managed 3 in a row! Yay!

Liv, that is great! I am impressed with such improvement!

Thanks Fee, was pretty stoked to do a few strict – shocked myself!

Seriously dude.. you did an extra 10 – you didn’t mark the board after the round where you took your shirt off!! Chipmonk noises are sooo funni.. Well done Coach B πŸ˜‰

• Heinex says:

Ben- You have taught us to be “team Adapt”. That is what we do! Sadly it did feel more “Boot Camp” than Xfit but thanks to the crew for cooperating.
    I had a lot of fun doing our “Sprint Pelon” for 800m. (Jog in a line and the last person sprints to the front)
    And we even threw in jump squats just for Coops.

Next time Coach E – You should sit in your car and make people do a partner wod of pushing your “small vehicle” up Oatley Ct… just promise not to put the brakes on for Coops?
      Great work stepping in Erik!

A. Got 70kg for the complex then decided to try for a 1rm clean and jerk and ended up taking it from 80kg to 90kg pretty stoked and think I may have a little more as the last lift felt the best out of all of them.

B. I think we finished 4 rounds maybe? Haha no idea really

Got in with time to watch Coach B do the last 50+ burpees. Ouch… Great to see the dedication of our Coaches! 1 slip up in 5 years is better than most people could ever hope for!

A) Working with Matty B, hit 85kg for the complex… minus the jerk (capped at 80kg). So dropped to 60kg to try and perfect the speed and placement of the bar overhead, it’s the limiter for me at the moment with shoulder positioning. Haven’t been able to hit my previous 1RMs in months.

B) Still with Matty, tried chasing down Craig & James who just pipped us with a few extra Wall Balls, we did 6 rounds and 6 wall balls.

C) NOTE TO SELF: Don’t joke about the rower, don’t act sarcastically and try to smack talk when you can’t walk about doing a 2km C2 trial. Awesome work to Morgan, James and Craig who joined in for a painful 2km! (1 min off my PB, that wasn’t fun).

• James says:

A: Complex at 90kg. Max lift power-anything really isn’t my move so I was happy that 90 felt alright. Moved onto C+J from there and got 96kg (PR) and then 100kg (double PR). Feels good to finally hit that barrier – as subjective as it is. Slow gains from here on out I suspect. Thanks to Coach Craig for working with me this morning and giving me just what I needed; a few queues and some words of encouragement.

B: 6 rds 15 wall balls (I think) with Coach Craig.

C: Thanks Steve for mentioning 2K row for time right after the WOD. That was just so much fun. 7:36 – 20secs off my best.

• Craig W says:

Welcome to the triple digit C&J club James! Made it look easy

A) you’re welcome
      B) awesome work on that C&J! Great to watch today and see how quickly you’ve started smashing these numbers lately! PBs everywhere dude!

• Brendo says:

Don’t beat yourself up about it Ben. As a testament to the community that you’ve built, nobody in the 5:30am crew complained. We bitterly lamented the inclusion of duck walks, but we’ll take that up with Erik later.

It basically involved lots of running, lots of squats, some planking, and push-ups. So we still got a pretty good workout – thanks Erik!

• Craig W says:

A. Was great to watch James smash 100kg for a PR. My jerk wasn’t playing so stuck to Power Clean / Clean and completed 100kg which is a Power Clean PR for me (last tested in Sept 2012!)
    B. James completed the 15th Wall Ball on the buzzer! He is impressive to watch lately, I was trying to keep up!!
    C. Steve O suggested a 2km row so after a minute I thought ‘why not?!’. Shout to Steve, Morgan and James for getting through the finisher

• bronj says:

It happens Ben, move on and forget it like we have. We were more worried something bad had happened to you!

It was quite a novelty designing our own workout. Thanks Erik for stepping up as impromptu coach and resident tough taskmaster:)

We did lots of running, squats, pushups etc. Was good as I needed to work on my engine. Did 30kg on the strength stuff once Coops let us in. Didn’t have the energy for anything else after coach E’s workout:)

• Leanne says:

Feeling it today!!!

Full clean @40kg PB!!
    Push press @40kg PB!!
    Wall Ball ( blue) PB!!!

Actually really loved sweating it out today with this cardio killer… Ended up doing 4 full rounds… That’s 60 burpees for fun!!!

• KJ says:

65kg for the complex. Then had a go at equalling PB. Got a 70 kg “crossfit” PB – slight press at the top of the jerk! Tried 71kg – couldn’t bounce out at the bottom of the squat! Next time!
    Really happy with these numbers though!
    Love working with Kristy! (Thanks lovely!) Being that bit stronger – she always makes me push for a little bit more πŸ™‚
    We did well as a team in the Wod. Beautifully in sinc with our burpees! About 9 CUs into our round of 7. First time doing L-sit chin ups. Did them all legit. Think the 400m runs would have smashed me more!
    All in all a good training session – after not ‘feeling it’ on the way in the door tonight.

• Cindyd says:

Not much good to report here. I was locked in a workshop all day at work which left me feeling pretty ordinary, often when I go to the gym feeling like that, I come out better off….not today.

A) Worked on 50kg clean, hang clean & Push jerk. No full clean because of dumb quad, also didn’t try split jerk for the reason. Tried at 53kg, had the strength, but I talked myself out of it & didn’t get under it.

B) I worked with the lovely Nicola. The strict pull ups disappeared very quickly, as did my will to live. I whinged constantly during this WOD because I hated it & because my head wasn’t in the right place. Nic & I got 4 rounds & 15wallballs.

Thanks for not putting up with me Coach Craig.

A: Worked up to 60kg-ish for the complex then moved to some 1RM work. Managed a 2kg PR with 67kg, almost got 70kg, just couldn’t get out of the bottom. Stoked! Especially considering I haven’t done heavy work for 6+ months πŸ™‚
    B: Kettie and I must have been somewhere around 10 rounds? Pull ups got hard toward the end… Some L sit pull ups among the normal strict ones!
    Great session after a shitty day at work πŸ™‚
    Don’t beat yourself up Ben, happens to the best of us! Still a great coach!

• john parr says:

A: did the complex at 80kg, (90kg with a press out) then went for a 1 rm and was 2.5kg off my 1 rm and did 97.5kg

B teamed up with tahni (sorry if i spelt your name wrong) and we smash our 5 rounds 5 L pull ups