Snatches and double unders

Thursday 27.03.14

A: Snatch warm up

B: Max Snatch (from any position)

Coaches notes:

• full snatch from any position – it doesn’t say power snatch so full depth is required
  • it’s gotta look good. If it looks like crap – we won’t count it
  • If you PR – ring the bell!

C: max double-unders in 4mins

• scaling: suck it

Post loads and reps to totalWOD or comments.

Friday morning Fun – Come watch the announcement with us!

This year’s CrossFit Games Open is almost over – The final workout will be announced tomorrow @ 11am. If you’re not up to anything (and even if you are) come join the 10am crew for a workout and post WOD hangout to watch the announcement and then some of our peeps have a go.

Coach B

A. Felt good after this. Felt like I was moving well.

B. 55kg and then frustratingly close to 60kg. Really keen to crack the 60 mark. Got it overhead several times bit just a fraction off. Frustratingly I seem to have strained my wrist in the process. Hope it comes good for 14.5.
    C. 184. Comparing notes with the kids on the way home and we all fatigue in different places. For me it’s my biceps that just stop working after a while then sets of 10 is the best I can do.

Hoping we can slip away from work/school for last WOD announcement. Think the kids want to go at it then if there’s space.

• Sam B says:

A: Good to drill this stuff again. I think my form is continually improving.

B: 50kg full snatch from the ground. (A PR for me!) Tried 52.5kg, no dice. I think it was in my head, because 50kg felt pretty easy, so I’ll just keep plugging away at it.

C: 135. Had a run of 32 early on, my longest ever run of unbroken DUs.

A: Really liking this warm up, it has definitely helped with snatch work since we first started doing it. Going to use this combo to do 10min warm up before snatch sessions in the future.
    B: Decided to practice from the hang (PB’d 2RM hi hang (45kg) on Tuesday so was hoping to improve from this)
    45kg went up easy enough so moved to 47kg & BOOM! Rang that bell πŸ™‚ Another snatch PB this week with my minion wraps haha
    Tried a couple of times for 48kg but didn’t have enough oomph to get under quick enough – so happy to see progress with this movement, it certainly takes time to feel the positions and pays off to be patient with the technical aspect.
    C: 137 – had a few false starts in the beginning and towards the end (2-4 reps) but was stringing 30-40 then 20-25 together most of the time when my forearms allowed me to keep going! Cardio felt better so I will be doing this a bit more often I think.
    Have really loved the programming this week πŸ˜‰

A. Pb! 65kg from the hang which I actually find easier then from the ground but stoked to get this took a few attempts but I knew I was getting closer each time so happy to get it particularly with knowing im not as strong as I was before I hurt my back meaning all the technique work is paying off

B. 176 pretty happy only messed up twice the other times just stopping cause I was tired and also got 50 unbroken which is also a knew pr

• James says:

A: Decided no to retest my previous 1RM of 70kg, so I had several attempts at 72 but no dice. 67 went up like a breeze though.

B: 181 Blergh double unders.

• john parr says:

Wow I post 27min after you with checking what you said.
      And we both used the term “no dice”

• James says:

haha, heres a classic:
        “Hey Ma, how ’bout some cookies?”
        “No Dice.”
        “‘Dis ain’t over!”

• john parr says:

A: …………….. Yeah. I warmed up

B: teamed up with James and we both hit 67kg and we both attempted 72kg, but no dice

C: 273 and did a nice set at 119 unbroken

A) Disliked. Rd 3 of the drills and my shoulder did not enjoy life. A summary of the next event.
    B) What happened? Spent a lot of time doing snatch balance (30/40kg), having issues getting the bar in the catch position comfortably. Confidence has died at the bottom position.
    C) 268. Got a bit flustered at the 30 secs to go mark but up til then I was hitting ~30 unbroken per set – never went over 30 and had quick rests.

• Tom R says:

A) tough. Slippery bar makes it harder :p

B) worked up to a new PR of 45kg. Previous best was 40kg. Happy with progress. Props to Craig, I think the workshops really helped.
    C) 227 with 92 unbroken. Only forgot to breathe towards the end but worked through it.

• Matt B says:

Cool to train with New-Karl today. Especially since I nailed a new PR at 72kg!! Double-Boom!!!

• NathO says:

A) Felt good.
    B) Worked with Josh up to 60kgs before pulling back to 55kgs on advice from Coach C to work on pulling tech. Moved back up through 60kgs and stoked to pull a 65kg PB in #craigapproved form. Really, stoked.

C) 197. Painfully close to cracking 200!

• Aimee says:

Last ever 6pm session at Adapt. Sad. But it’s so good to leave on a high!

A: 50kgs baby!!! Can’t wipe the smile off my face! From the ground (which I find harder then from hi-hang) Got stuck at 40kgs for awhile but after a stern word from Craig and a little drill I got past it.

B: 187(?) my traps started to seize and I couldn’t hold the rope anymore haha!!

Fun to watch all the ‘PB excitement’ tonight and it’s sessions like tonight that I will miss.
    Keep working hard everyone and remember to keep your hold of your ‘crossfit joy’ and have fun – otherwise what’s the point!

• Nathan says:

Nice work Aimee…! 50kg is amazing! Last 6pm? We’ll miss u. What session you moving to?

• Aimee says:

Thanks Nath! Pretty happy!
        I’m actually leaving Adapt – will finish off the open on Saturday. Mixed emotions – will miss training with you πŸ˜”

• Nathan says:

Oh no, I didn’t know you were leaving! Shame, we’ll definitely miss u. I’m sure you’ll keep up your training with whatever your next move is πŸ™‚

A: I like these drills – but did get very sweaty palms by the end of it!
    B: Hit 45kg for a 5kg PB. I think I had 47.5, just couldn’t drop under it quite quick enough. Got a few burpees for it…
    C: 46 – still slow, but happy with that as it really wasn’t that long ago that I couldn’t get more than 3 in 10 – 12 minutes.

• Aimee says:

Girl you’re a beast and I can only imagine what you’ll be lifting come 12 months time! It’s been an honor sharing laughs, lifts, chalk and spirit fingers with you hehe!

• PaulT says:

A – Two rounds back to back was more than I expected
    B – My mental limit seems to be 50kg atm. The annoying thing is that I feel my physical limit is about 5kg heavier.
    C – 133 with a complete lack of grace.

• KJ says:

A: new PB of 55kg from the ground. Up by 5kg.
    (Have done a double from the hang at 55 before – but this was the first time I’ve tested from the ground in a while) failed at 57kg.
    B: 263 DU with the first 103 unbroken.
    Had a crap week and work and needed to come in and train tonight! Glad I did…hit the box instead of a wine glass. Good move me thinks πŸ˜‰

• Nathan says:

A: new PB for 72kg tonight, tried for 75kg but failed , I have hit. 75kg from the hang so need to work on my first pull.

B: 260 d/u plus a few burpees as I worked on my own.

• Leanne says:

My name is Leanne and I’m ashamed to say I have avoided some snatch classes on purpose… But not today and I loved the drills and made myself hang on for my 2 rounds.

Got a really solid 30kg lift which is a 5kg PB… Tried 32kg a couple of times and didn’t drop under it and was rewarded with burpees…

DU still elude me but I got 9. I can get them one at a time but used me 4mins to try and string them, which I got 2×2 πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

• pip says:

Got a PB of 45kg tonight, up by 5kg. Got under 47kg 3 times but couldn’t manage to stabilize it. Happy happy. Think also Craig’s music selection tonight was a big help πŸ™‚ Broke a mental barrier tonight. Was great to do these with Kathleen.

Double unders were lost on me tonight. Only managed about 170. Don’t know what happened. I have been getting 50 unbroken consistently but tonight they were in sets of 3, 7 and 11. Some days you got em, some days you don’t.