Thrusters and burpees

Wednesday 26.03.14

Why are we always talking about external rotation? Plus hollow rock challenge!

Strength:

• 1RM Thruster – this may be a cluster (clean into a thruster)

Conditioning:

6min Ladder

• 3 Thrusters
  • 3 Bar Facing Burpees
  • 6 Thrusters
  • 6 BFB
  • 9 …
  • 9 …

Hollow Rock Challenge:

• Will you take up the 3min (sorry thought it 5min) hollow rock challenge?
  • You have one month from now to build up to maintaining a hollow rock for 3 minutes.

coops

• Heinex says:

A) Got 85. Failed 90kg.

B) 9/12 Thrusters @ 55 kg.
    I consider this WOD “6 mins of HELL !”

This man-glove thing is catching on. Two pairs in evidence for the 6:30 class. You’re not alone Steve O and Ben M.

A. Got up to 75kg. Wondered if I might have gone heavier, but this
    was getting very close to a clean then (hard) press.

B. 9/12 thrusters at 48kg. And got a bonus scrape down my shin – trying to put the bar down gently and it slipped out of my hands. Thankfully my leg stopped the bar hitting the ground too hard.

Stoked for Karen – she couldn’t do thrusters because of a shoulder issue so just did cleans. And got herself a new 1RM – I think by several kilograms.

• NathO says:

You were right Ivan, ‘current-me’ is spewing that we didn’t go for 80kgs in the end. ‘Past-me’ was soft.

Don’t worry – ‘Future-you’ is a hard man who won’t take no for an answer from some upstart bar loaded with heavy weights. ‘Saturday-future-you’ in particular will have no memory of ‘past-wimp-you’ and will go on to WOD glory.
        At this point, it’s probably best we don’t speculate about what ‘Post-Saturday-future-you’ might think.

Accept the glove-love!
      The stuff is magic!

A. Only hit 70 was very close to 80 though

B. Working at 45kg I got 10 thrusters into the round of 12

• Sam B says:

A: 60kg, very close on 65kg. (Previous 1RN out of a rack was 70kg)

B: 9 thrusters into the round of 12.

Yep, I’ll try for a 3 minute hollow rock.

• David N says:

A: 65kg. Cleaned 70kg, stood up but no thrust. Have to make sure that I lean back more in the thrust to avoid pushing forward instead of straight up.
    B: 45kg. 9/12 Thrusters. Legs were like jelly for the burpees. Sets were all over the place.

• jason says:

A) Got 75kg after a few attempts. 70kg went up easy then my mind wasn’t in it. Added to my long list of things I want to be better at.

Got lots of tips from Coach Becca – appreciate it.

B) Worked at 50kg. Went a very slow pace trying to make sure of technique. 1 clean in the round of 12.

• James says:

A; Worked to 80kg, 85 wasn’t going anywhere.
    B: Such a sucky workout for just 6mins. 5/15 Thruster at 50kg. 14.5 will be horrid if its anything like this.

Bet you are eating your words now – you got to the round of 15! Haha.. Looking back at Wednesday, it’s probably easier to do descending than ascending.. You’re gonna smash this one πŸ˜‰

• NathO says:

A) 75kgs. Really heavy but actually feel I could have made 80kgs+ in hindsight. My motivation at the time was effected by a look at the board – 65% thrusters in the WOD…

B) 8/12 at 48kgs. Felt slow and sloppy. Still retaining hope that thrusters might not appear after all in 14.5…

• Cindyd says:

A: Worked up to 45kg, before dumb quad wouldn’t get me out of the squat, so went to 55kg power cleans.

B: Got to 4 cleans in the round of 15 subbing thrusters for power cleans @37kg.

I pray to God that Thrusters dont appear in 14:5, if so, I’m cactus!

Always good working with The Annie…lots if laughs & encouragement.

A) 80kg on the third attempt and almost took out Cindy, double bonus!

B) Still getting vertigo so took it easy as burpees + thrusters + vertigo = A BAD TIME!, went at 50kg and got somewhere in the Rd of 12 Thrusters.
    Thinking it’ll be something quite similar on Saturday… Bring it on!

• Mark says:

A: 65kg on the fourth attempt.
    B: 12 thrusters (@40kg) + 3 burpees

A: 55kg – after three attempts!
    B: got to 7/12 Bar facing burpees with thrusters at 35kg. This was tough, but I loved the burpees….. no really!
    Thanks Pip for being my buddy!

• Tom R says:

A) worked up to 55kg. Hadn’t done 1rm thrusters before. It’s just below my C&J so should be improving that next time.

B) 7 thrusters into round of 12. Feel pretty good.

I need to work on my hollow rocks. Didn’t quite get the rocking part

• john parr says:

A: worked up to 90kg, attempted 92.5kg, but no dice

B: worked with 60kg and I did I thruster in the round of 12

A: Nailed 55kg pretty easily – but just couldn’t get under the 60kg, even after about 6 attempts
    B: Got to 11/12 thrusters @ 35kg,

A: Worked to 55kg – felt heavy but pretty good. Wanted to go to failure so quickly put another 2.5kg on – no juice. 15kg PB haha, only tested these once before, that was in May last year!
    B: 46kg – 7/12 burpees – really didnt expect to get this far but pushed through – it was only 6 mins after all πŸ˜‰
    Not as fearful of Thrusters coming up in 14.5, not that I want them to come up at all!! Shoulder to overhead all the way πŸ™‚

• pip says:

A: 50kg went up pretty easy. Failed 55kg twice but I reckon if I had one more attempt I would have nailed it.
    B: 11/12 thrusters at 35kg. Probably looked at the bar willing for the buzzer to go off a bit too much.

A: worked up to 47.5kg. Very happy with that. Haven’t tested before so wasn’t sure what to expect. It was a struggle but thinking now I should have tried for 50kg.

B: worked at 30kg. First set unbroken, set of 6 rested in front rack only. Sets of 2 or 3 for the next rounds. Finished 8 / 12 thrusters. Surprised myself there, didn’t think I would get that far.

C: hollow rock – lower back comes off the ground, thanks to some tips from Sean and Pip I found a way where this doesn’t happen. Thanks guys!

• JoJo says:

Was really happy with this last week.
    A: 60kg – after my previous 1RM being 40kg. Massive improvement and feeling really good about it. Finally feeling like overhead movement is getting easier.
    B:Got to the 9th thruster in the set of 12 thrusters/burpees.