Back squats and HSPUs

Monday 24.03.14

Strength:

• 5×5 Back Squat

Conditioning:

EMOTM (10min)

• 3-7 HSPU – Double Unders in remaining minute

Finisher:

• Couch stretch (2min per side)

Coaches notes:

• Ensure you pick a rep range for HSPU that is maintainable! We don’t want to see people not able to even complete a rep past the 7min mark.

Post loads, reps and notes to comments

A. 1 set at 80kg, 4 sets at 100kg. Had intended to do five sets but time got away on us. Three sets felt good but the 4th was a grind.

B. Used an ab mat for the first time. Really made a difference to getting first bit of movement. 4, 3 then sets of 2, e in the last set. Would be keen for more of these – I’d like to build shoulder strength.

C. Couch stretches – bleaaagghhh.

• Heinex says:

A) Got 4 sets @ 110kg.

B) Started at 4 but the bottow fell out in minute 6. Dropped to 3s & 2s.

C) Try to zone out the pain.

The 10am session escalated quickly…
    So we all ended up doing 14.4! Great session today with some awesome scores.
    I didn’t do the WOD Saturday due to an ear infection but I still went and watched/cheered everyone on… and now I’m at the doctor getting checked out. Oops. 14.4 + vertigo = bad ju-ju!
    Got 176 reps, which is way more than I thought I could whilst still a bit unwell. Super stoked with the result, great WOD to keep as a re-test!
    Awesome work by all for 14.4 and the open so far, who’s ready for burpees and thrusters?!? Haha.

• James says:

The 10am session was all 14.4, heat 2 was Steve Ryan and I. Loved it.
    I was quite excited for this one, as I like the chipper format. Mostly because once you finish a movement you’re not going back to it. I entertained very briefly the idea that I would get to the muscle ups – didn’t think I’d actually get there. 180 reps, so no go on the MU after three attempts.

• Cindyd says:

Did 14:4 got 1074, pretty happy with that, failed a few reps at the end, I just had nothing left.

Super stoked with the boys scores this morning…awesome stuff guys, you all did so well.

• Aimee says:

Always so much fun working with Fee!

A: Stayed under my 80% at 65kgs and I’m still ‘crooked’ haha.

B: some good HSPU, some… Well.. It was fun anyway haha.

Well done to Fee for her first HSPUs

A: worked up to 60kg which is my 85% feeling much better than last week so was glad to work at that weight (last week I worked off 50kg). Won’t say it was easy but felt easier than I expected.

B: tried this in a few different ways. There wasn’t enough ab mats so I tried a 10kg plate and small blue mat but got 0 on my first round. Added a 5kg plate and it seemed too easy and I got 4 in a row (probably could have gotten 1 or 2 more). Nicola moved off the ab mat at some stage so I tried working on just that. Got a few singles out which is better than I expected. Got a sore head / neck so took it easy on the last few rounds.

A: 65kg happy as I haven’t done squats for a long time.
    B: did my first ever HSPU. Super stoked. Used a plate and a thin mat! Could get up to 3 in a row.
    Then I removed the plate and struggled to get 1, but loved trying!!!
    Great fun working with Ames! Am going to miss you.

• KJ says:

A: 5×5 @ 75kg
    B: got my first strict HSPUs(without hand-release! Lol) 3 strict for 10. Thank you Coach Becca 🙂
    C: yep. Some more work required here!

• pip says:

Split this into two sessions today. Went to 10am today, judged Tim and Ryan in 14.4 who both killed it and watched Karl the crazy man do it for a second time and get even more muscle ups out. After that a couple of us did the hand stands, I worked off ab mat and did 4-5 reps with 20-30 double unders as the filler.

Did the squats later at home, 5 x 5 at 70kg. Felt a bit light which was exciting for me.

I did the open workout on Sunday afternoon. Was really happy with how my row went, was off the rower at ~3.45, which for a short chick, I was pretty happy with. Theeennnn it all went down hill from there. I ripped my hand about 15 T2B in (even with my bitch mittens on!). Continued to do it for a little bit but I suppose I was checked out already. I called the workout before the timer. Some may not agree with my decision to do that, but the way I saw it, was that I could either rip my hands to shit even more and not be able to do much with them for a week or call it there and be able to train as normal. I picked the latter.

All I can say is that the Open has been very humbling for me. Have done well in two, not so well in two. It has shown me my weaknesses and my strengths (which I already knew). Not going to lie, I am looking forward to the Open being over and going back to “training” not “testing”. But I will definitely take on what I have learnt and try not to have so many glaring weaknesses next year.

A: Worked at 68kg (85%) – these felt a lot easier than I expected – only worked at 60kg last week and I must say that today felt a bit better for form.
    B: 3 unbroken strict HSPU every minute (with 15kg & 10kg plates) – first time to do strict so really chuffed with that, great to get a chance to improve strength with this type of training.
    C: Couch stretch felt a lot more comfortable than the last time we did it – flexibility is definitely improving 🙂

A: Working sets at 90kg.
    B: Worked on strict push ups – making them as tight as possible and was pretty happy with the form – even after doing over 200 push ups earlier in the day! Maintained 5-6 unbroken PU each round, with a few double under fillers.
    C: Despite the pain face during the stretch – I did feel amazing in the legs afterwards!