Back Squats, then Pullups, Power Cleans and BB Front Rack Lunges

Wednesday 19.03.14

Strength:

Back Squat

• 4 x 5 @ 85% – rest 2 min

Conditioning:

• 10 strict pullups

–then–

4 Rounds

• 10 Power Cleans, 60/40
  • 6 Barbell Front Rack lunges, 60/40

–then–

• 10 strict pullups

Post loads, reps and notes to comments

A) Working sets at 90kg. Felt fairly strong. Not 85% but close today

B) Blue Band and 50kg.
    Got 1 lunge into the final set.

Lunges are among my weknesses. Evil things.

A. Did not like these after yesterday’s WOD. Set at 80 then 3 sets at 100kg before we ran out of time (and I so desperately wanted to do that 4th set).

B. Just did pull ups and finished in 9:56. This also was. Struggle because of yesterday.

Surely tomorrow they’ll be nice to our thighs to save us for 14.4? Please?

A. Only a 10kg today and it felt heavy after a lack of lifting

B. Finished 3 rounds this also felt very heavy

• Heinex says:

A) 4 sets @ 120kg.
    B) 9:28 I think.

• James says:

A: 2@100 and 2@105. Felt okay for the first two sets, so just added a sneaky 5kgs for the last two.

B: 9:31, not RXX :P. Finished the cleans/lunges at about 7:30ish, and those last two minutes of strict pullups were murder.

So awesome to have a post-WOD 11am coffee session. Been missing these – also 15kg wall balls are not fun.

• EmilyB says:

A) Quads and glutes pretty tender after yesterday, so took Coach Ben’s advice and dialled it back at bit. Working sets at 65kg which is about 5kg shy of 85%

B) Finished 3 rounds at 40kg. Took lots of breaks and made sure to re-set my back before every clean as back has only just started recovering post-14.3.

Really good talk from Coach Becca and Coach Craig after 10am sesh about how important it is to differentiate training from testing sessions, especially during the Open. I’ve definitely found it’s been really helpful to make sure I’m moving well during the week and not being as concerned about finishing in the time cap, rather than slaughtering myself and having nothing left for Saturday. Lovely to have a 11am espresso sesh too!

A) Most sets at 90kg, 1 at 95kg – Really focusing on the hip turning out so didn’t want to go up too much (scared of re-injury…)

B) 9:11 – wow… last set of pull-ups was not fun.

As above, the post session chat and coffee was great and needed 🙂

• Mark says:

A: Worked at 70kg, a bit less than 85%. Had a crack at 80kg in there (85%) but only got three.
    B: 1 power clean into round three. 60kg BB lunges suuuuck!

• Nathan says:

A: worked up to 110kg, pretty happy with that considering the DOMS from yesterday..!

B: managed to finish in 9:01. First set of strict pull-ups were unbroken, the last set was tough…! Singles and doubles.

A: Worked at 90kg – a few kgs off a true 85%, but was really happy with my form and depth tonight, so that’s the main thing.
    B: Got to 1 pull up in the final set at 40kg. Those power cleans were very heavy by the third round!
    Worked with Kettie for the first time, and her strict pull ups were inspiring!!

A: worked at 50kg which is only 70% but didn’t feel like I had 60kg in me after yesterday. It seemed pretty easy so probably should have gone higher, but also wanted to save myself for the WOD

B: used heavier bands (red + yellow) so I can work on overhand grip. Was easy enough so will drop to just red next time. Worked at 40kg and man was it tough. Knew I was in trouble when I struggled with the clean, wasn’t so much the weight just feeling real tired so took a while to get into it. Lunges were hard but got better in my second round. Finished 10 cleans in 3rd round.

Not having a good week in the box so am happy tomorrow is rest day.

A: worked at 60kg – less than 85% but not feeling 100% after last couple of days and saving my back from bad tekkers when I get fatigued.
    B: 8:55 – yellow band for strict pullups. Broke up the cleans into small sets for the last 2 rounds. Had to keep my right pinkie off the bar after ripping a bit doing deads. Lunges felt a lot heavier than last week and there was only 6 of them!
    Hated it but enjoyed it 🙂