Keeping it together for the Open

Well it’s certainly been a bit of a roller coaster ride. Just about everyone was able to get some reps for the 1st workout 14.1 (double-unders and snatches) and then just like that, Castro popped everyone’s balloon with 14.2 (OH squats and C2B pull-ups).  Last weekend’s 14.3 (deadlifts and box jumps) rewarded the stronger athletes and even allowed us some easy reps in the form of step-ups (and yes, I was extremely grateful for that…)

Perhaps the Open’s gone alright for you; a confirmation of your current skills and ability and you’re exactly where you thought you were? Or perhaps you discovered that you’re even stronger and more capable than you thought you were and you’ve finally got in touch with your inner << insert your power animal here >>? Or perhaps it’s been a little more raw and revealing than that and it’s exposed your weaknesses and made you realise just how far you have to go as a crossfitter?

Where ever you’re at I’m sure that you’ve experienced a myriad of different emotions. The pre WOD anxiety and excitement of what lies before you. The electric atmosphere in the box. The 3-2-1-Go! Grinding it out at the halfway point. Every muscle and sinew straining in unison for another rep in the dying seconds of the workout. The elation of finishing the workout and the sheer relief of knowing that you’re not going to be doing that again anytime soon. You’ve given it your all but the really cool thing is so has the person right next to you – Through this shared suffering we develop strong and lasting friendships. We share in each other’s wins and we share in each other’s losses. But we do it TOGETHER… This is COMMUNINTY.

The emotional and physical effort required to get through the Open can really take it’s toll on you. It can be a lot to deal with and it happens every Saturday for five weeks in a row. There’s highs and there’s lows and after the weekend, when you’re on a bit of a downer it can be easy to lose it, throw in the towel and walk away after but I’d ask you not to. I’d ask you to keep pressing on. Keep showing up. Keep putting in the effort. Keep entering your scores (and we’ll keep validating them) Keep encouraging your mates and BE PROUD of what you’ve achieved. All you have to do is keep it together for another 2 weeks and after it’s all over we’ll all be able to look back and say “Yeah sure, the 2014 Open was tough but I’m so damn glad I was part of it and I’m even gladder that I got to do it with all my Adapt peeps!” So keep on trucking yeah?!

Coach B

Tuesday 18.3.14

500m C2 fun...

500m C2 fun…

A:  Strict press – Work to a heavy triple

B: 4 rounds for time

• 50 air squats
  • 400m run

Post loads and times to comments.

In other news: Antony Lo Workshop on Saturday 12.4.14

We’ve still got a couple of spaces available for Antony’s upcoming clinic focused on the back and hips. If you’ve got any niggling issues and/or you’re just keen to find out how to move better and activate everything in the right order than this workshop is for you. Antony’s put the workshop up on his MBO website and we’ve put together some [instructions on how to register for the workshop and/or a 1:1 on Friday or Saturday evening here]

Coach B

I’ve been contemplating writing a blurb on how I’ve felt about the last couple of workouts for the Open but I won’t now ’cause I’m typing on a phone. Suffice to say that I have been really surprised at the fun and excitement of each WOD. And more so for 2 and 3 because we’ve come back to watch others go at it. It’s been really inspirational and not necessarily just when the big guns have their go. I may even have gotten a bit teary now and then (I assure the kids that man tears are OK now and then. Not sure they’re convinced).

A. 55kg went OK. Couple of singles at 60. 2nd rep wasn’t there.

B. 12:32. Very satisfied except for that annoying blonde kid ahead of me.

• Sam B says:

A: 40kg ok. Got 2 reps out at 45kg.

B: 13:43 (I think?!?). This was a good workout. Thought I was beating Mark King comfortably in this one, but he cheekily zipped past me on the last lap and left me in the dust! Never underestimate the little ones… 😉

The open has been great. If I was completely honest I would say I would rather be scoring higher than I am, but I’m learning a lot about what I can do, and there is a consistency and foundation of good movement that I’m proud of. And it is very hard to walk away after the 6am session on Saturdays to go to work – I’d love to stay and watch, support and celebrate – its a great feel in the gym. So many people achieving personal highs.

• Mark says:

A timely post as I’m feeling fairly flat to be honest. But it is great on the weekends to see everyone’s efforts and cheer them on (when I’m not handing out no-reps that is!)

A: 40kg. A few singles or doubles at weights above this, but no threes.
    B: 13:34

I have absolutely loved the open so glad im in it. Ben had to talk me into it as I miss 2 of the weeks and was unsure about my back holding up. Adapt is definitely the place to be doing the workouts more enjoyable and more support then when I did it away at another box. Iv been really happy with my performance so far too however the workouts have been kind to me so far a few Movements that I think are coming up will slow me up a bit.

A. 55kg couldn’t even manage a rep at 60 though shpulder strength is definitely a weakness.

B. 14:16 pretty happy with this had my calves and lower back seizing up on the second run then surprisingly came good I think my squats actually improved as we went along aswell

If theres a sit and reach test or any kind of mobility test coming up in the open ill probably have to forfiet hahah

• Michael G says:

A. Worked up to 70kg. Did 75kg but was sloppy form.
    B. Injured so I couldn’t do the workout. Sat on the bike for 20mins. Not fun!

• James says:

A: 55kgs, [email protected]

B: 10:59. All I remember is Karl’s shirt receding slowly into the distance.

Open has been fun. I’ve really enjoyed coming down on the weekends to judge. That has been a big highlight for me. Bring on 14.4!

Maybe we can get Karl and Ewen to swap sessions. Karl would still kick my butt, but at least he wouldn’t follow me home and pay out on me afterwards.

• James says:

Ewens time was the only thing keeping me running on the third lap! Damn slow squats.

• Karl Buchhorn says:

My brain doesn’t function that early into AM mate, so its safe to assume you’d be kicking my ass!!

Don’t need brains at that time of the morning, just need to roll out of the bed!! Challenge urself Karl, u might like it 😉 6:30 sesh is pretty cool 🙂
          So, how did u do today?? Don’t be modest 😀

• Karl Buchhorn says:

Ummmmm so I didn’t do any strict pressing. Have gone and got myself a shoulder issue, so I will have to manage that over the next two weeks. Sad face

Got through the running and squats in 9:40ish

It sucked alot I promise! Haven’t run in a workout forever have we.

A. 32kg

B. 3 rounds in 19.35. My lungs failed me on this, so it was a good wod for me to do because I need to build up my cardio fitness.

Great read – The Open has given me a fair share of challenges but it’s been a great battle to go through with everyone else. Loving the atmosphere and hope it keeps up for the last two weeks!

A) Got 3 x 50kg, brain checked out when I racked 55kg…
    B) 12:01 – Just wanted sub 12, I’m my own worst enemy.

• KJ says:

A: [email protected] no prob. [email protected] then a bit fatigued! (1rm 47 -so bout right)
    B: yeh! Don’t love the running! 12.54. Need to look at running tech, as my back seized up and felt mega tight. Need to try this again.

Loving the Open. One week seems sooooo long to wait for the next WOD! Love seeing people exceed their own expectations.
    On a totally random subject….I had my iPhone4 stolen. Anyone updating and want to sell me their handset???

A: 32kg ran out of time but I don’t think I would have gone much higher.
    B: 12:50 love the running, squats though………….. Not so much.
    Good to do the 6pm session.

A: Worked up to 30kg. Last time I did these in December I got to a 1RM of 32.5, I feel this would definitely go up now.
    B: Was aiming for 15-16 minutes, finished at 13:36, so better than I expected! My cardio has improved a lot lately… not entirely sure why.

A: current 1rm is 31. Got a triple at 30 so would be interested in re testing. Tried 31kg and failed on the second rep so may still be an accurate 1rm but it did seem easier than I remember.

B: I feel this wasnt as bad as I was expecting, but I am still disappointed with how I went. I am such a slow runner and I let it get me down which in turn slowed down my squats. Finished 20 squats in the last round on the buzzer. Rested for a minute, realised how bummed I was I didn’t finish, so I finished the squats anyway so finished probably around 23 minutes.

On some high notes: today was the first WOD with this much running that I haven’t walked any of it, stoked that! Also stoked the running didn’t feel like total hell today so I must be getting fitter.

have had a bad headache all day today so I am hoping that impacted my performance too.

• KJ says:

Tarryn don’t be down on yourself! You have come so far! You smashed 14.3. Focus on the positives!

• EmilyB says:

Chicky you did so well today! x

Thanks guys, just need to get better at running.

Thanks Em for joining me on my last run and the girls for helping me finish my squats. I really appreciate the support.

• EmilyB says:

Awesome post Coach B! This is my first Open and I haven’t been disappointed. Every Friday night I go to bed with butterflies in my stomach, excited and nervous about Saturday morning. It’s been an amazing 3 weeks so far, I’ve learnt so much about myself as an athlete (like that I can be really serious and calm when I need to be.. how do I implement this into other aspects of my life?!) and have surprised myself every week at what I can accomplish. The community spirit and encouragement is incredible and really demonstrates what a unique and wonderful group of people we have at Adapt. Anticipating 2 more awesome weeks 🙂

A) Jumped into it a bit late after having my back taped up, managed to get 3 out at 32kg, ran out of time to go higher.

B) 15:30. Told myself I wasn’t going to walk any of the 400m and didn’t, so very pleased with this. Cardio improving very slowly.

The open really does test ur mental strength as much as ur physical ability.. I’ve been quite surprised at how I’ve felt each week as I wouldn’t usually be too bothered but I’ve had mixed feelings each week so far, so I’m interested to see what the next 2 weeks will bring to the mix.
    A: 32.5kg for triple, only got a double at 35kg but started arching my back so called it there – feeling pretty good after 14.3 so don’t want to tempt fate!
    B: 14:57 – didn’t push it but was hoping I could make it to do sub 15 mins. 🙂 This would be a great WOD to do in your own time and also as a travel WOD – will bear it in mind when I am away next month 😉

• Nikki says:

A: worked to max 25kgs for a triple. Got a single at 30kgs
    B: 16:57- better than I expected, as I thought I wouldn’t finish it!

• AK says:

To be honest I joined the open so I could still do Saturdays. I really underestimated what an experience it would be. Whilst I can work on my DU’s and I don’t have C2B, I was really blown away by what I could do in 14.3. I excited to see what’s coming up next!

A) 3 @ 35 easy. Failed 1 @ 40 and again @ 38 and got a new 1RM of 36. I am amazed at the difference a small amount of weigh makes in this movement.
    B) 18 something. Happy to finish it really. Ouch.

• Tom R says:

A) Worked up to a 35kg heavy triple and pulled out a 40kg 1RM. Haven’t worked on strict press before so good to get a grounding.

B) Well, my ab pain got the better of me during the WOD so I stopped after the 2nd round. But I wanted to test it so feeling better today I did after work (my block around my house is 400m oddly enough) and did it in 12:43. I paced myself a bit better so ok with that.