Back Squats then HSPUs and Deadlifts

Monday 03.03.14

Strength

Back Squat

• 2×4 @ 85%
  • 2×3 @ 90%

Conditioning
For time:

• 10 HSPU
  • 30 Deadlifts, 60/40
  • 20 HSPU
  • 20 Deadlifts, 85/60
  • 30 HSPU
  • 10 Deadlifts, 102/70

*Sub for HSPU is hand release push-ups

Post loads, reps and training notes to comments

Other news:

If you competed on the weekend don’t forget to submit your CrossFit Opens score ASAP, if you haven’t already! GO GO GO!

A) Worked up to 107kg with the 22kg Bar. Sets felt strong and solid. The best back squats have felt since the crossfit total in December.

B) Finished in 8:36 with Hand Release Push Ups. Very pleased. I felt my form was pretty good on the deadlifts. 1 No Rep.

Thanks Bryan for counting for me and the encouragement

• Dave P says:

A. Hit 140kg but it highlighted a couple of things I need to work on.

B. Subed HSPU for pull ups but started to fatigue are the first set. I gassed out at 15 of the 30.

Teamed up with Dale who just powered through. Awesome to watch.

A. Worked up to 107.5kg. Got through them but I couldn’t call it plain sailing – had one attempt where I squatted and….. well, that’s all. Couldn’t move. Re-set and got out the three but it was a battle. And I made the mistake of going first while working with Tim and Nath so I had no time out excuse on the last set. Of course they both know that’s never deliberate.

B. Finished the 30th HSPU in the last set right on the buzzer. Not all that disappointed not to have to do the deadlifts.

• NathO says:

A) Worked up to 107.5kgs. Didn’t feel quite as in form and strong as working with the same weight as last week but was happy with the form none the less.

B) Timed out 19/20 HSPU’s on an ab cushion + 2.5kg plate. Pretty sure I struggled for the final 4 minutes of the WOD trying to clear 6 x HSPU’s. Thanks (and apologies) to Pete for counting my reps (and no reps).
    Bright side – I wasn’t able to bust out 29 HSPU’s in a WOD 6 months ago.

• Heinex says:

A) Managed 2X3 @ 130. Tuff.

B) Timed out 26/30 HSPU. Tris & delts just didn’t haven’t to keep pushin 104 kegs upside down.
    Moral of story- 80% of success = food in-take. (Or lack thereof !)
    Well done to Coach Sean who showed me how to get it done…… just.

• James says:

14.1, yay! – Managed 242 reps in those 10 horrible minutes…
    Peeved to have to work and miss the vibe on Saturday, but we made the most of it this morning and it was good to have Dom, Ben M And Bec back in the box too!
    Congratz to everyone on their scores today and Saturday.

• Kylie says:

Good day today!

A: Worked up to 55kg and form felt good. Time to start working up bit by bit

B: Hand release push-ups, got to 15 reps in the round of 30 push-ups. No thighs touching – this has been a massive gain this year.

• Bec B says:

14.1!! First workout post holiday ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Really didn’t know how this was going to go as I don’t have double unders – getting closer before we went away but I figured today I would have to go back to single – double – single to at least get some reps. Score 112!! Really happy to have triple figures ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks for the welcome back!

• jason says:

A. Worked a bit lighter than usual up to 100kg. The back squats felt horrible today – I didn’t fail anything but it just felt horrible.

B. Got out 1 HSPU in the round of 20. That’s 4 more HSPU than I’ve been able to do in a WOD previously.

• Matt B says:

Big thanks to the Ben’s for letting me have another crack at 14.1 this arvo! Managed to improve my score by 20 reps!

Mixed emotions about today’s session.

A: worked at 60kg and 65kg (70kg 1rm so bit more than 90%). Failed 3rd rep both attempts at 65kg which was frustrating.

B: another PR on my HSPU! Working with ab mat and 5kg plate. Finished the set of 20 with 5 seconds to go, so finished 30 HSPU, was stoked! Most I have done in a WOD before today was 20. My head felt like it was going to explode!

Thanks to Ellyse and Craig for pitching in and helping with my Burpees for being 5 minutes late, much appreciated!

Done gone got injured again ๐Ÿ™
    Saturday, not only ripped my thumb but felt my hip flexor re-tweak. Squats didn’t happen.

I stayed for the WOD. Got 11/30 HSPUs. 1 no rep due to feet missing the wall and 1 no rep due to the Coops Factor… that moment when Coops walks past and tries to tickle you. Then there was the 1 minute I was pleading to Tahni and Deane O to do half my HSPUs after their WOD. I spent too much time talking and not enough time upside down. I’m not disappointed.

• Aldog says:

Well after fracturing my ankle in 14.1 Ben found a lot of fun cardio work for me to do!

2 min intervals doing sitting rope pull of the prowler adding 10kg every 3 mins for 10 mins, then straight into 1 min situps, alternated with 1 min medicine ball twists.

Then the Airdyne terror. 10min 30sec on (68 or higher sprint, 30sec off. Yuuuuk. Tomorrow it’s upped to 12mins! Lord knows I need it though!!

• Ben M says:

First day back in four weeks and its been a solid day.

Came in at 10am for 14.1, double unders alluded me today.
    Finished with a score of 220.

Then just for the hell of it came back for the 5pm session.

A) Worked to 90kg, felt pretty heavy today although not that unexpected. Didnt fail any reps and it isnt that far from my 90%.

B) This was fun, at least for me any way. I need to work on my dead lift form as it gets ugly around the 85-100kg weight when i touch and go.
    Finished in 5:25, even got to yell at Craig during the WOD so cannot complain.

Glad to be training again. Been in 3 times since returning home at 12:50pm yesterday, and its been good to catch up with everyone again. Cannot speak highly enough of Adapt and its people.

A: Worked up to 100kg for the set of 3. Keeping my feet wider is definitely feeling much better.
    B: Finished at 9:49 with hand release push ups. Happy to finish in the time cap ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bryan says:

A. worked at 135 then 145 for the back squats.

B. Got to 5 HSP in the round of 30.

• KJ says:

A: worked with Pip. First set at 85% was 75kg. Then 90% was 80kg. I think I usually Slac off a little ๐Ÿ˜ during bigger sets? Tonight I worked a little harder on these lifts than usual.
    B: 7.17 (rx)
    Did first round of HSPU and deads unbroken. By third lot of HSPU I was doing 2s and 3s. Could not have moved any faster tonight!

• Aimee says:

Tessa… Beast!

A: worked up to 85kgs – some ugly reps, some good ones.

B: 4/20DLs @60kgs. So happy! Battled out HSPU on abmat – slow but getting better everyday. Last wod I only managed 11 reps, today I got 30! Progress.

• Will C says:

Loved today’s sess-two of my faves: back squats and deads!! ๐Ÿ™‚

A) Worked up to 130kgs with the 22kg bar. These felt a lot better than my last attempts for sure.

B) finished at 7:01 with hand release push-ups. I really want/need to get these hand stand push-ups!!

• pip says:

A: 75kg and 80kg. All felt pretty good but there was definitely a rep or two where I lost my mid section and you could tell. Ask Sean.

B: 9:40 with hand release push ups.

Felt a little off today, think I may be coming down with something – this “cold” weather could have something to do with it ๐Ÿ˜›

A: Worked a couple of kg off my numbers to keep form and ensure I had the strength to get through them; 2×4@70 & 2×3@75.
    Movement felt good ๐Ÿ™‚

B: 15/20 deadlifts (set@60kg) Rx.
    Happy with my progress on HSPU – 30 reps is the most I’ve done from the ground.
    Great to train with Jocelyne for these – good work on your HSPU!! ๐Ÿ™‚