Helen and her big sister…

Tuesday 20.11.12

CrossFit benchmark WOD: ‘Helen’

3 rounds for time:

• 400m run
  • 21 KB swings w/ 24/16kg
  • 12 pull-ups

Fat Helen (swings:32/24kg & C2B pull-ups)

Post loads, times and training notes to comments.

Nutrition chat this coming Saturday @ 3pm

Explaining the Paleo and Zone diets, understanding the insulin effect & cortisol

If you’re after results and most people are, then you’ll need to understand that just showing up and training a couple of times a week alone is not enough. We know through both personal experience and client observation, that consistent training coupled with smart nutrition and lifestyle choices leads to results. Real results.

We’ll  let you know what has worked for us personally and enabled so many of our clients to achieve incredible results. We generally advertise well in advance when we run these sessions.

Coach B

Coach and Owner of Adapt CrossFit

My first 5:30am sesh and I loved it… but hated it at the same time. I like that we’re doing more benchmark WODs so I can see my progress (hopefully!).

Finished in 11:28 with 16kg KB and small blue band for pull-ups. Had to change the band three times to make it harder, but think I’ve settled for blue for now.

Great fun today!
    12:08 – with ring rows and 16kg KB.
    Stoked about the effort this morning from everyone! THREE girls on the board, and one guy – almost! Super great effort everyone.

• Tom B says:

Rx’d 8:54, down from 9:47 in September.

• Dom says:

13:49 rx’d – kipped the pull ups 4 at a time

down from 15:11 when we last did this in September.

• Aldog says:

Ah Helen we meet again….2 months after our first meeting (my 2nd ever x-fit session!!) I still don’t enjoy spending time with you, but I did tolerate you far better today….

11:46 or 11:56
    Subbed row for run as Achilles playing up today 🙁 – lucky I went to uni for 4 years so I can treat injuries 😉

• Kylie says:

13:56 – 14kg KB and pullups with the purple and red band.

Time was higher than September but changed from rings to banded pullups. Happy with the progression on the bands and felt like I managed to get a little bit of a kip on.

• Prudy90 says:

13:33 – 16kg KB, ring rows.

Am so thrilled with this!!! Last time I did this (early Sept) I went over time to 16:15 and was struggling with lifting the 14kg overhead so woo hoo!!!!! 😀

• Mark says:

I’m also looking forward to more regular benchmark workouts – great idea to run these more often.

Unfortunately however I came in with a bung leg this morning, so couldn’t run – no Helen for me.

Ben says, oh that’s ok, we’ll get you on the Aerodyne bike instead. I thought yeah ok, bring it, I could do with an easier day until my leg improves. Well I couldn’t have been more wrong! Ben got me doing a 20 sec interval tabata sprints and I can confirm that bike is a direct shortcut to the pain cave! Give me Helen any day!

• Brendo says:

I saw that – you could have powered a family home at that pace! What time did you bring it home in?

• Mark says:

I’m glad it looked good, cause it felt awkward and slow. I couldn’t tell you much more about it, I was so shattered!

• Brendo says:

Last time I met Helen it was in the form of an unholy union with Kelly, back in the garage days, and aptly entitled “Helly”.

I’ve blocked out “Helly” from my memory, but for Helen this morning I Rx’d the not-so-heavy version in 12:41. I don’t quite have the kipping pull-ups yet, but even with the inefficient technique, it was a darn site easier to get through than dead hangs would have been.

• Sarah Cav says:

10min 10 sec. rx
    surrounded on either side by the Lawler rockets! humbling.

• Wal says:

9:18 RX’d. First time doing this WOD.

• Lenin says:

Still getting over being sick last week so only went for 2 rounds and didn’t push hard to make sure I don’ get sick again. Completed the 2 rounds RX in 9:12

Oh Helen… Last time I did this it was only 16kg, only russian swings and pull-ups on the biggest band and still struggled to get it in time – around 13-14 min mark (it was my first bench-mark WOD back 6 months ago)… I remember back then all I could think was “I can’t wait until I’ll be able to RX that work-out!”

This time 14:44 RX’d… It wasn’t the prettiest RX attempt at Helen at Adapt but it was RX’d, complete with several no-reps and almost a face vs kettle-bell that had a few people cringing. Feel great knowing how much I’ve improved but really wanna improve that technique, a lot!

• Kristy W says:

First time rx.
    If I had more skin on my hands I would of been able to string pull-ups better and improved time. I’ll be keen to give this another go soon.
    12:12.

• Craig W says:

My favorite benchmark!! Annoyed that my run on round 3 was rubbish but have to be pleased I got my first entry on the board (unless the late crew knocked me off already!!)
    8:30 RX, more sprint training needed to get that back to my PB – something to aim for : )
    Great atmosphere tonight and everyone smashing it!

• Bairdy says:

Wow first time doing this benchmark and man it took it out of me.

Rx’d in 13.20 (First time really Rxing a workout so stoked about that one.)

Great effort by the 5pm class, some massive efforts all round.

• rob rigby says:

17:19 with 20kg kb, should have gone rx. Pullups on red and yellow band were a battle…

• Becco says:

13:46 – did 1 round with 16kg but my arms were dead after yesterday so went down to 14kg KB and pullups with the orange and yellow band.

First time on Helen so stoked that I finished in time. Really need to work on my kipping, I’m definitely making life harder for myself!

• Annie says:

13.47, 12kg KB and yellow band for pull ups.
    Left forearm twingy and a bit painful doing swings. I think I knocked it around a bit doing KB snatches last night.
    Pretty happy with this, didn’t finish last time not even close.

• theparrman says:

Did it back in June in 10:20. Tonight my goal was quicker than 10:00, I did it in 9:43
    37 second improvement! The scientific term for that is a smashing!

• kate says:

Didn’t finish 🙁 got to 6 pull ups in the last round. Still no good at kipping but getting a little better 🙂

Almost went RX but couldn’t do over head swings because my shoulder is no good.

• Kim says:

14:13 – 14 kg kettlebell, ringrows.
    I need to work up to kipping pullups and work on my distance running – got a stitch halfway round the first lap that persisted for the rest of the workout. First benchmark WOD I’ve completed in time, though I’ve only done 3 or so. Would like to do more.

• Danielle says:

12:24 14kg KB and ring rows.
    Did all KB swings unbroken and the ring rows were good but for some reason running out the back door really puts me off so my runs were quite rubbish.

• Ben says:

13:49 rx’d. First Helen. She was a bitch.