Push press and lots of double unders

Friday 13.9.13

double-unders-400x277

A: 5 x 3 Push Press at 85%

B: For Time (8 min cap):

• 100 double unders
  • 40 Russian twists (9/6kg)
  • 30 box jumps (24/20″)
  • 20 burpees
  • 100 double unders

Coaches notes: Double unders are a skill and they are not going anywhere. This workout will be an eye-opener for some of you. If you struggle with double unders – buy a rope andย practice whenever you can. They are great to take travelling (I take mine where ever I go). Failing that, practice in the gym before and after class and a coach can give you some tips.

Post loads, time and training notes to comments.

Sharing is Caring ;)

A. 4 sets at 40kgs, one set at 42.5kgs

B. 78 double unders – yes Coach Ben, my double unders suck!

A. 5 x 65kg. I was pretty satisfied with this, but having busted out the calculator and looked up my 1RM on MyWOD (phone app) I realise I should have gone to at least 68kg. Still, first couple of sets felt pretty clunky until the shoulders warmed up.

B. DNF. Everything pretty fine really, but I just fatigue in the DU. First round was OK, but had to break it down to roughly sets of 10. Second round was sloppy and had lots of 2s and 3s. But I have moved beyond the cartoon above (that was me for months).

Have to acknowledge Nath O, both for beating me and for inventing the burpee-on-a-box.

• NathO says:

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

It’s not often I trump you on a WOD… I’ll savour it.

Also – keep an eye on the new BOAB, I get the feeling it inspired the coaches and may become a new Adapt special…

A) Worked up to 60kg. wrists were sore for a while until they warmed up.

B) Only 25 Double Unders – lots of work to do, but hey… I have only be able to do ANY double unders for about a month.

Now the weather is warmer I can practice when I get home from work and will be starting to practice in the morning before classes…

• NathO says:

A) Worked at 65kgs for these. A touch over my 85% of 1RM. Felt tough this morning, bringing the bar down was at all times precarious.

B) DNF – with 19 DU’s to go. Pretty chuffed with the DU’s this morning, a new unbroken PB of 41.

In other news, a misunderstanding at the beginning of the WOD caused a bit of embarrassment.

I’m sure Coach Pip instructed us to raise our arms and clap above our heads at the top of each box jump… 15 box-jump-burpee-finisher’s later… the coaches descended with eyebrows raised…

Good times…

A: Wasn’t sure of my 1RM (guessed 52-55kg) so went with 5×[email protected] Finished with 1×[email protected] got back to the office, checked my 1RM, it’s 55kg so 47 would have been 85%. Good weight to work with. Need to remember to keep my core tight for every rep!

B: Saw the board and thought there is a lot going on there for 8 mins, especially the 200 DU’s!
    Timed out at 29 DU’s in second set.
    Unfortunately the DU’s didn’t grace me with their presence today. First set were ok but dismal in the second, fatigue let me down. 3 weeks ago they were perfect! Need to do a little extra practice I think.

Cash out.. pull up trials. I’ve set myself a goal to have a few strict unbanded pull ups by the end of the month. Told Annie this after the session and she said come on let’s do them.. Oops, now I’ve gone and announced it I have to do it! lol
    Tried a few from the ground with a little jump up to the bar on a yellow band and managed fine.
    Steveo suggested I get rid of the band.. I tried one and it looked more like a hanging crunch, my knees were practically in my armpits! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Then he suggested I keep my legs straight like I do on the band and do the hollow rock thing.. I used the c word.. not THAT c word! .. can’t without a band. So, I “pretended” to get into the band and guess what, it happened! and with straight legs ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks Annie, Steveo and Cindy – got my motivation to “make it happen” ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Mark says:

A: Worked at 52kg today. A few interesting lifts with long pauses half way up towards the end of the 5×3.

B: Finished in 6:30. DU’s under fatigue are a challenge, but felt I could have done a little on that second set. Still, I’m happy with where my cardio is heading.

• James says:

A: 60kg

B: 88 DU in second set.

10am session had a great intensity today. Ben and Nick were really pushing Josh and I, getting some healthy competition, and usually I like to work against myself, but today it was fun to try and chase Josh down – even if I came up short!

A: worked on front squats 25, 30, 35, 35, 35.

B: 59 DUs. Says it all really :/

Loved the 80s music!

• Cindyd says:

A: 5 x 3 @ 45kgs

B: Finished the round of burpees. I tried to improve my burpess form & they were better than usual, now I just have to do them quicker. My daily double under’s practice is making a big difference, thank god.

10am crew you rock, that is all

• jason says:

A: 2 sets at 50kg then bumped up to 60kg. Form and lifting got better as I went.

B: Finished off the burpees

Any day I can get through 100 DUs is a good day. Managed to successfully string some ok numbers together.

A) Sets at 65kg. Wasn’t popping it enough today.

B) Had 20 DUs left ๐Ÿ™ The last round of DUs really messed with my head, took way too long to get the first 20, compared to only stopping about 4 times in the first 100, I stopped just about every 1 – 4 reps in the 2nd lot.

Amazing vibe today, great pushing Josh & James to face off, warm up for Snowy Hydro in a few weeks ๐Ÿ˜‰